Misting vs. Humidity Tray vs. Humidifier

vdeschamps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello everyone,

I've been using humidity trays for a year now (they come with the pot). I read on many websites that humidity trays do wonders to keep the bonsais humid.

Now, on this forum, I've read many bad things about those trays. I've read that best is to have a humidifier in the room.

What about misting? Isn't that an old fashion way to keep indoor bonsais humid?

I have a Schefflera recovering from a recent hard trim and I just got a Chinese Elm tree.

Thanks!

Vincent

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got one of those digital thermometers with a humidity meter, and I have found misting and humidity trays to be short lived and ineffectual respectively. However creating an enclosure to trap in the humidity for transpiration and evaporation is quite effective. I am using an aquarium, but others use tents, bags and even plastic storage bins to lock in the heat and humidity. Of course this setup works well with having some high powered supplemental lighting as well.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mr Fancy plants is right on, I have to add that misting will work if you are able to be consistant with it while humidity trays do nothing besides save whatever is beneath the pot from getting wet.

ed

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Humidity trays do no do much, if anything. Misting is and can be very beneficial. However, with misting, it is important the the tree itself, not the soil, gets most of the misting. Simply because trees do not like to always be in soaking wet soil all the time. Misting and watering should be considered 2 seperate aspects of care.

Humidifiers can be beneficial as well.

Rob

vdeschamps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you guys for your replies! I am going to try misting now instead of using humidity trays.

I might even make the move to a humidifier one day :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Elm should really stay outside. For any plants we have to Winter indoors Humidty and temperture varies GREATLY between plants. Just take care not to treat all of your trees the same way... ;)

vdeschamps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The Elm should really stay outside. For any plants we have to Winter indoors Humidty and temperture varies GREATLY between plants. Just take care not to treat all of your trees the same way... ;)

I didn't know the Chinese Elm should been kept outdoors (I got tricked by the vendor).

I will do my best to treat the Elm the best way possible!

P.S. I don't have a backyard or a balcony big enough to put a plant outside :mad:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Chinese Elm need to be wintered and rest. Even if you have an unheated foyer or garage you would do it a service to let it get cold and be protected from storms and such.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IF you have been keeping the tree indoors since you got it, it is mandatory that you keep it inside until THIS winter is over. If you put it outside now (especially with the brutal low temps we've been having) you will kill it.

Elms belong outdoors, BUT (and vendors love this) they can be kept inside for some time. They're tough trees and can take the inhospitable environment indoors (for a while).

The tree should be kept outdoors, however, this year, since it has not been outside it has not prepared itself for winter. Its ability to withstand cold wasn't developed -- temperate trees have to be exposed outdoor all spring and summer to prepare themselves for winter.

Again, DON'T plunk the tree outside now. WAIT until the danger of frost and freezes has passed--probably in mid-April or so. THEN get it outside.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
IF you have been keeping the tree indoors since you got it, it is mandatory that you keep it inside until THIS winter is over. If you put it outside now (especially with the brutal low temps we've been having) you will kill it.

Elms belong outdoors, BUT (and vendors love this) they can be kept inside for some time. They're tough trees and can take the inhospitable environment indoors (for a while).

The tree should be kept outdoors, however, this year, since it has not been outside it has not prepared itself for winter. Its ability to withstand cold wasn't developed -- temperate trees have to be exposed outdoor all spring and summer to prepare themselves for winter.

Again, DON'T plunk the tree outside now. WAIT until the danger of frost and freezes has passed--probably in mid-April or so. THEN get it outside.

I am sorry I did not point that out, and it as EXCELLENT advice for upcoming seasons. There is so many things to keep track of - I am happy to stand corrected or under-detailed. And it also"smacks me in the head" as I do not deal with places like Bonsai Boys because they SO OFTEN list outdoor trees as indoor plants because they have grown them that way - far from natural *sigh*

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grim,

No need to apologize.

The advice on Chinese elm is conflicted. I had to figure it out after a mallsai vendor a very long time ago told me that the Chinese elm I bought was an "indoor/outdoor" trees. He failed to explain exactly how all that worked, though. The tree didn't make it for very long...;)

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grim,

No need to apologize.

The advice on Chinese elm is conflicted. I had to figure it out after a mallsai vendor a very long time ago told me that the Chinese elm I bought was an "indoor/outdoor" trees. He failed to explain exactly how all that worked, though. The tree didn't make it for very long...;)

I understand - just I needed to be a little more detailed but HONEST Thank You for "tooting in" I have seen so many :deceptive" online dealers that it disturbs me and this time I forgot an important detail you were quick to see!

vdeschamps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

Since I just got the tree I am not going to put it outside. I just in a book about bonsais that the Chinese Elm is exclusively an indoor tree! Go figure lol.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I just in a book about bonsais that the Chinese Elm is exclusively an indoor tree!"

GET RID OF THE BOOK. It is wrong, VERY wrong...

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"I just in a book about bonsais that the Chinese Elm is exclusively an indoor tree!"

WOW! Please give me info on that book Name and Author so I can put in my list of "never" do.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

+1 just in case the message is not received loud and clear. LOL

Top Bottom