Mitecide and collected trees

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a question. I have an infestation of spider mites in some of my trees, and I am planning to fumigate them all with mitecide. Would that affect my collected trees negatively? Thanks!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I have a question. I have an infestation of spider mites in some of my trees, and I am planning to fumigate them all with mitecide. Would that affect my collected trees negatively? Thanks!
If a miticide that's intended to treat spider mites infesting plants... and you follow the directions... your trees should be fine.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Make sure you check the type of solvent as well. I've had plants respond negatively to the naphta my pyrethrin was dissolved in..
A while back I read that these solvents usually arent tested on a broad range like the active ingredient is tested.
Other than that, it should be fine.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do some digging to find out if there's any indications that the miticide is poisonous to those trees. Look up not only by species and genus, but also look at closely related trees. Don't go by brand name, go by active ingredients. A while back I found research that indicates neem oil, for example, is surprisingly nasty stuff and detrimental to a lot of trees used in bonsai (Acer doesn't like it, nor do redbuds or junipers, and I want to say neither do Malus or Prunus but I'm not certain about those two).

I rest assured that there will be a cavalcade of responses from people telling me that I'm wrong and they've used it without killing their trees. 'Cause, y'know, repeated findings by actual botanists can't possibly be right against the insurmountable might of personal experience!

I do know that prophylactic fumigation of collected trees is an actual practice, not just a theory, and it helps survival rates for collected trees.

Top Bottom