Mites???

Ashley Pearson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CST
Hello everyone!

I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate the site but, in the meantime I think I'll try to get a more direct answer by asking through here!

My Juniper is starting to turn brown but I think I caught it pretty soon.

Originally, I thought it was because I was overwatering but after some reading, I held a white sticky note under it and tapped some branches.

Little dots started moving around on it. Not a crazy amount.. like 10 after tapping 5 times in different spots. There are also two spots with little strings going from one branch to the other on the outer part of the branch. Although the brown is located on the middle branches towards the outside (see photo).

I've tried spraying the Juniper with the spray option on the hose (pretty thoroughly). Did the sticky note again and found another walking around (pretty much had to search for the guy). (See photo)

I'm also thinking about using a some sort of soap solution or miticide but don't know if it's really spidermites or if that would be the best next step.
Maybe spraying is doing the trick and I should just do it again?

Can someone please help?
I want it to live!
Thank you!!!!image.jpgIMG_2498.JPG

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its hard to tell from the second picture but the damage is consistent with mites.
The good news is its not a bad infestation yet. Dont wait too long to treat it and waste time getting it dealt with.
I have used Sevin with success but there is some question as to how effective it is on some mite species.
I would get a miticide and use that. Read the label and follow the instructions. If any of the ingredients include neem oil, sesame oil or ANY type of oil, put the tree in full shade for at least a week after spraying. Applying oil to your tree and leaving it in the sun could be very bad for the tree. Cover the soil with a rag or something when you spray.

Good luck

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make Dawn Dish Soap bubbles and lay them on it, smother them.

You can cloth wrap your pot and swoosh the tree in a bucket of water.

Could submerge it, cloth wrap more careful.

They call it Sevin Cuz it's a sin!

Don't smash the big red mites or the black ones with red legs.

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Make Dawn Dish Soap bubbles and lay them on it, smother them.

You can cloth wrap your pot and swoosh the tree in a bucket of water.

Could submerge it, cloth wrap more careful.

They call it Sevin Cuz it's a sin!

Don't smash the big red mites or the black ones with red legs.

Sorce

Come on, @sorce , the don'the need a bath! We need them dead...

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recently stopped a mite infestation with 2 teaspoons of dish soap after sevin couldn't get the job done. Sounds like most people opt for the powerful stuff around here.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
I used dish soap and water too and managed to get rid of them completely. You have to be consistent and check after a few days if they're still there and repeat. Those reached by the mixture will die in a couple of minutes.
If left untreated they can do great damage on some species.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recently stopped a mite infestation with 2 teaspoons of dish soap after sevin couldn't get the job done. Sounds like most people opt for the powerful stuff around here.

Glad you got your mite problem under control. Keep an eye on the tree for the next month or so to make sure they are truely gone.

You are free to use or not use what you want. It's no big deal when you've have landscape nursery tree you paid $20 - $40 last year for.

However, when you start acquiring trees that cost a few hundred $ as a pre bonsai then add 5, 10+ years of development work, you want things that can kill them dead now, not 1 or 2 weeks from now, maybe.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Glad you got your mite problem under control. Keep an eye on the tree for the next month or so to make sure they are truely gone.

You are free to use or not use what you want. It's no big deal when you've have landscape nursery tree you paid $20 - $40 last year for.

However, when you start acquiring trees that cost a few hundred $ as a pre bonsai then add 5, 10+ years of development work, you want things that can kill them dead now, not 1 or 2 weeks from now, maybe.

That's where I'm at. More then a few of my older, well developed trees have been set back years because of mites, and with loads of junipers in the landscape, it's impossible to eradicate from my yard. This is where I've gone and I'm happy with the results. Fwiw, a little goes a long way...http://www.pestrong.com/1344-sultan-miticide-16-oz.html

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's where I'm at. More then a few of my older, well developed trees have been set back years because of mites, and with loads of junipers in the landscape, it's impossible to eradicate from my yard. This is where I've gone and I'm happy with the results. Fwiw, a little goes a long way...http://www.pestrong.com/1344-sultan-miticide-16-oz.html

Wow that's expensive stuff but I might also give it a try. Looks like its one of the few things allowed here in the Land of No.

It also only effects spider mites. It's harmless to predatory mites and pollinators.

Great stuff

Thank you!

Last edited:

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Paradox you make a great point, my nicest tree is a $65 pine and most are worth much less. I've started misting my trees down again everyday with water just to help. If the problem gets worse I'll go nuclear. I never wanted to buy the sevin but i'll do what I have to. I definitely will be trying a different brand/active ingredient though if it flairs up again.

P.S. I'm not trolling you haha, I only comment when I have first hand experience so I've been active on the mite threads lately, as that's my largest concern these days

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is where I've gone and I'm happy with the results. Fwiw, a little goes a long way

For Agri it says 13.7 ounces per 100 gallons of water - What are you mixing per gallon for the potted stuff?

Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
For Agri it says 13.7 ounces per 100 gallons of water - What are you mixing per gallon for the potted stuff?

Grimmy
Not sure... don't have the label in front of me right now, but I suspect I took 13.7 oz (411 ml), and divided by 400 (quarts in 100 gal)= 1 ml per quart. If mixing a gallon, I'd use 4 ml.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not sure... don't have the label in front of me right now, but I suspect I took 13.7 oz (411 ml), and divided by 400 (quarts in 100 gal)= 1 ml per quart. If mixing a gallon, I'd use 4 ml.

Unless you have a large place that is a lifetime supply for two then - actually well priced , Thank you for sharing that link ;)

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unless you have a large place that is a lifetime supply for two then - actually well priced , Thank you for sharing that link ;)

Grimmy

I agree. If it's only 4 ml per gal, it's not bad at all

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Paradox you make a great point, my nicest tree is a $65 pine and most are worth much less. I've started misting my trees down again everyday with water just to help. If the problem gets worse I'll go nuclear. I never wanted to buy the sevin but i'll do what I have to. I definitely will be trying a different brand/active ingredient though if it flairs up again.

P.S. I'm not trolling you haha, I only comment when I have first hand experience so I've been active on the mite threads lately, as that's my largest concern these days

I understand.

No one likes to use the harsh chemicals but sometimes it's the only way to get rid of the problem. Having to retreat 10-20 trees every week gets tiresome.

As Ive said, I have used Sevin sucessfully without having to retreat, but because it is questionable with some species, I am looking at alternatives. The product Dav4 linked seems like a good choice, particularly once you have a lot of time and resources invested into your trees.

It's initially expensive cut doesnt take much product to tear a few trees and lasts for a month (according to the info on it) . It seems to be safe fior beneficial insects and it is compatible with BMP for pests.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's prudent to keep sprayed trees (with any chemical) out of sun for 1-2 days, especially if the treatment contain mineral oil.

Top Bottom