Mites?

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a hackberry, which is shpwing signs of serious stress. Yellowing leaves on both young and old. Its being fertilised by osmicote and was repotted three months ago. Its growth is good, other than the leaves. I was thinking spider mites, but other than the leaves, can see no other indication of them. Any ideas are always very welcome!

Attachments

• 20220723_184659.jpg
    20220723_184659.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220723_184703.jpg
    20220723_184703.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 39

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Chlorotic foliage like this hints towards an iron deficiency or a blockade.
So the problem is likely to be root based. Probably the pH value of your water, or an overall lack of micronutrients. Since osmocote usually has trace elements/micro nutrients, I think it's likely to be a pH thing.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When you say yellowing on the leaves "young and old", I am only seeing the yellowing on the old, interior leaves. In fact, from the photos, I see the exterior, elongating growth (the newest growth on the tree) to be dark green, and significantly larger than the interior leaves.

Unless I am not seeing something in the photos, it appears to me the tree is simply dropping the interior, small, weak leaves. I don't own a hackberry, but it is what my elms do regularly.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with Wires Guy. Iron/mineral deficiency is what I'd say as well.

I also don't own a Hackberry so can't comment on Bonsai Nut's suggestion

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Probably not iron deficiency. Iron is not mobile in plants so it usually affects new leaves first.
Magnesium deficiency shows in older leaves because the plants can move it to where it is needed in new leaves. It also leaves veins green as in the photos. pH can affect whether Mg is available to the plants or locked up in the soil.
Nitrogen deficiency also show in older leaves but plants are usually also not growing well and this one appears to have good new growth.

Even though only older leaves are affected I think this is more than just old leaves dying naturally.

Does the Osmocote say it has trace elements?
How much do you use and how is it applied - in the soil mix? on top of the soil? into holes in the soil?
What soil mix are you using?
If possible check the soil pH.

Mites should leave tell tale very fine 'spider' webs under the leaves. You can also usually see them moving under the leaves, especially with a magnifying lens.

Top Bottom