Mixed conifers forest

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put this forest together using 5 cryptomeria, 5 shimpaku junipers and 5 Dawn Redwood. The cryptomeria I bought, the shimpaku are four years ago from cuttings and the Dawn Redwood are cutting from last spring.IMG_20220326_125332336.jpg

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I think DR needs a bit more water compared to the other conifers specially the junipers in the peak of the growing season

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You may find the DR foliage out of scale compared with the cryptomeria and juniper. Good luck!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was going to use some Western Larch, but the cuttings were not ready. Mountain Hemlock might be a good replacement, too.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was going to use some Western Larch, but the cuttings were not ready. Mountain Hemlock might be a good replacement, too.
IMO mountain hemlock is a better choice for scale and growth habit.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMO mountain hemlock is a better choice for scale and growth habit.
Did you see the big MH I just got my hands on? I just did the roots and repotted, but it's going to need a lot of reduction. Now you got me thinking, maybe I'll pull those dawns out and plant them together by themselves. MH would be a nice replacement, but you know what I was really shooting for was the fall display I see out in Eastern Oregon when the larch turn golden and mixed in with the pines, well, it's just a beautiful sight.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m from the east so not sure but I can imagine!! Your color could be very nice but the texture may not allow you to suspend your disbelieve. 😁

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
One of my favorite combinations here in the east is the smooth grey bark of American beech, mixed with the graceful, wispy foliage of eastern hemlock in a rolling topography. It’s a common sight around here. Trying to mimic this in miniature using American beech would be totally out of scale. A more convincing tree would be Chinese elm. Leaf scale, similar bark and fall color would be more in line. Some people don’t like the substitution but I’m for believability.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my favorite combinations here in the east is the smooth grey bark of American beech, mixed with the graceful, wispy foliage of eastern hemlock in a rolling topography. It’s a common sight around here. Trying to mimic this in miniature using American beech would be totally out of scale. A more convincing tree would be Chinese elm. Leaf scale, similar bark and fall color would be more in line. Some people don’t like the substitution but I’m for believability.
Perhaps our Western Larch would be a better candidate. Same fall colors, but much finer foliage and not as thirsty as the Dawn Redwood. I'll work on that. Thanks for the advice. Well given and well received.

Top Bottom