Miyasama Trident Maple

ichoudhury

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So I shouldn't have, but couldn't resist and purchased two of the many auction posted by this seller name Kilpatrick7587 in Ebay for very sought after Miyasama Trident Maples. :p:)

(also known as miyasama kaede yatsubusa ?)

Miyasama%2BTrident1.jpg

Here's the other one

Miyasama%2BTrident2.jpg

Anyway, I was wondering if you have any suggestion on how I should approach these two. I was thinking of growing one year without any control and then later approach both for ROR type deal? I like to hear suggestion also if you have any feedback on this Trident (Negative/Positive) .. doesn't matter :eek:

They are about 4" from the root and the trunk is about half inch

Stimmie1

Sapling
Reaction score
Looking at the photo of the first one, it looks as if it is in need of a repotting. So when the buds begin to swell this Spring (Feb-March), and get a good look at the roots, and get to see if there are any large down growing roots that neet to be removed. At that time, you may already have a rock considered for your planting and you could mount the tree on the rock and plant into a deeper container to bury the rock and the roots. I am assuming that you know how to go about planting a root over rock.
I would begin at that time to plan your style of tree to be grown on the rock.
If you are just starting with Bonsai, I would suggest you join a club and get help from some "elders" of the club, they would be more than eager to assist you.
I would suggest you get started with your styling this year, if you wait and let it grow wild for a year, you will have wasted 2 years towards your styling.
If you live near Atlanta, look into the Atlanta Bonsai Association, they have monthly workshops, open people, and various visiting instructors.
Have fun but be careful, bonsai is very addicting!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So you were the person I was bidding against :D

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a lot of tridents. I have a lot in very showable condition and 30 or 40 in all sorts of refinement and technique.

Out of all that I have three miyasama kaede yatsubusa that I bought three years ago. I bought five, and a few dies from neglect. They make beautiful trunks and grow pretty well but the branches are terrible with ultra long internodes and terrible at ramifying.

Hope yours do better.

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
So was I and fortunately had the winning bids on one of the tridents.

Art

ichoudhury

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So you were the person I was bidding against :D

ha ha .. All I wanted was one, but it was like adrenaline rush and I ended up with two. I don't regret it though as those look very nice (and I'm sure they will look nicer eventually) ;)

No hard feelings then? :p:D

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
ha ha .. All I wanted was one, but it was like adrenaline rush and I ended up with two. I don't regret it though as those look very nice (and I'm sure they will look nicer eventually) ;)

No hard feelings then? :p:D

Oh no hard feelings at all :D

You probably helped me. I really need to stop spending money on trees anyway, I have far too many.......maybe :rolleyes:

ichoudhury

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Looking at the photo of the first one,............
Have fun but be careful, bonsai is very addicting!

Thank you! Some great advice and I plan to follow. I do have some rock, but I do not have "The" rock yet. In fact, I am very interested obtaining a "Liverock" or Coral Rock if I can find (most likely somebody who sells base Rock for Reef Aquaria hobby .. I am a recovering Reefaholic ..:eek:

I also may scratch that idea with these guys to do the ROR (the idea is still up in the air). I also got about 10 Trident Seedling which I may rather pick as my subject when the time comes .. long away.

Anyway, thanks again for your great feedback ..

ichoudhury

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have a lot of tridents. I have a lot in very showable condition and 30 or 40 in all sorts of refinement and technique.

Out of all that I have three miyasama kaede yatsubusa that I bought three years ago. I bought five, and a few dies from neglect. They make beautiful trunks and grow pretty well but the branches are terrible with ultra long internodes and terrible at ramifying.

Hope yours do better.

I hope so. Looking at those, they do look very soft compare to regular Trident (Acer Buergeranum). I'm also not quite convince they are as hardy as those either, so my Trunk chopping my turn out fatal for these guys. Do you have pictures of those that you still have? I am curious if you also wrote any article/threads on your progress with those? By the way, your threads are very inspiring. Please keep up the excellent work that you do. :)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few that I'm growing out now and have found them to be very vigorous - as much so as other tridents.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope so. Looking at those, they do look very soft compare to regular Trident (Acer Buergeranum). I'm also not quite convince they are as hardy as those either, so my Trunk chopping my turn out fatal for these guys. Do you have pictures of those that you still have? I am curious if you also wrote any article/threads on your progress with those? By the way, your threads are very inspiring. Please keep up the excellent work that you do. :)

When I went out to look at the trees I had found out that I had sold two of them in the swapmeet last month. the one I have left is here. Not much work has been done and I kept it because it is a perfect chokan trunk with great flare and radial root spread.

I will work on it this year and see if it changes my mind.

Attachments

• DSC_00050001.JPG
    DSC_00050001.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 198

ichoudhury

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
When I went out to look at the trees I had found out that I had sold two of them in the swapmeet last month. the one I have left is here. Not much work has been done and I kept it because it is a perfect chokan trunk with great flare and radial root spread.

I will work on it this year and see if it changes my mind.

Would you say this kind has much slower growth rate than their other brothers? I like the root spread by the way.

ichoudhury

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Where are they now

Ha, just ran into this thread, so thought I update a little ... Actually i haven't really made a lot of progress with these two trident. I had various distraction last couple of years, so nothing major were done (other than, I was trying to field grow one while other one in a pot). That also didn't go very well because I had little time to take care of them (so they didn't get the TLC they deserve)

View attachment 41880

View attachment 41881

View attachment 41882

View attachment 41883

Hopefully I will have some free time now to focus back to my Bonsai projects, especially these trees.

Attachments

• Miyasama1.jpg
    Miyasama1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Miyasama2.jpg
    Miyasama2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Miyasama3.jpg
    Miyasama3.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Miyasama_ground.jpg
    Miyasama_ground.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 180

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find this variety to be very slow growing, particularly to thicken the trunks. I've been growing a bunch out for a few years now, and the trunks are barely an inch in caliper.

ichoudhury

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I find this variety to be very slow growing, particularly to thicken the trunks. I've been growing a bunch out for a few years now, and the trunks are barely an inch in caliper.

That has been my experience as well. But I was under the impression that was due to me not giving the best growing condition. The one on the ground didn't get any special compost or fertilizer as long as it was growing and one in the pot also did not get any special treatment other than watering. (During the growing season they do grow well, but trunk's no where near I want.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for the update and honest you did well keeping them alive for a full seasonal change. ;)

Top Bottom