Mock Orange

victorC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Developing this mock orange as an informal upright bonsai.

I chopped about 18 inches off of it after last bloom, just 2 weeks ago. Now it is blooming again and covered in new sprouts and growth.

This tree is the only Philadelphus - mock orange, that I am aware of being developed as bonsai and there is really no one who has worked with this species to guide me in it's care and development. This was the only tree from 6 air layerings that took after 8 months of growing sufficient root.
It was removed and double potted 2 years ago so that the main rootball remains intact during development and for when it is ready for a shallow bonsai pot. Maybe in the next year or two.
I am really loving this little tree. The entire area around it smells heavenly and I can only imagine it's potential to be a solid blanket of blooms one day.
#bonsai
#mockorange
#philadelphus

Attachments

• 20220724_095427.jpg
    20220724_095427.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220724_095453.jpg
    20220724_095453.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 58

Rowbow

Sapling
Reaction score
Developing this mock orange as an informal upright bonsai.

I chopped about 18 inches off of it after last bloom, just 2 weeks ago. Now it is blooming again and covered in new sprouts and growth.

This tree is the only Philadelphus - mock orange, that I am aware of being developed as bonsai and there is really no one who has worked with this species to guide me in it's care and development. This was the only tree from 6 air layerings that took after 8 months of growing sufficient root.
It was removed and double potted 2 years ago so that the main rootball remains intact during development and for when it is ready for a shallow bonsai pot. Maybe in the next year or two.
I am really loving this little tree. The entire area around it smells heavenly and I can only imagine it's potential to be a solid blanket of blooms one day.
#bonsai
#mockorange
#philadelphus
We have a mock orange bush in our garden, all that I know of it is it smells beautiful when the flowers are out and in the sun, you do have to keep it pruned back because they don't back bud
on old wood

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We have a mock orange bush in our garden, all that I know of it is it smells beautiful when the flowers are out and in the sun, you do have to keep it pruned back because they don't back bud
on old wood
Interesting. Mine back bud unless because it’s a young plant, it’ll do that

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hmm- interesting.
I just planted one in my landscape this year. Mine seems to have pretty large leaves.
I am happy to hear that yours will back bud as that might be problematic for a landscape shrub also, if it didn’t.
Please share your future results.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I dont think thats philadelphus, the leaves and flowers are different, this is philadelphus:
cheyenne-mock_orange-philadelphus-lewisii-flower-blooms.jpg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
I agree. I wonder if the OP tree/shrub is one of the Choisya (ternata?). Mind you, I think Choisya smells like cat pee 😱.
I am trying a Philadelphus (double flower form), and it smells great almost Gardenia like.
BEAEFBC7-7162-4C07-9CA0-506FD750FBC3.jpeg
This was in the garden a while, and it may need another chop and start again.
Anyway, sorry not trying to hijack the thread.
Charles

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I dont think thats philadelphus, the leaves and flowers are different, this is philadelphus:
Agreed. OP's plan looks a lot more like Murraya paniculata, which has a similar common name. It is widely used for bonsai.

victorC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
on old wood
Mine back buds profucely on old wood.
Agreed. OP's plan looks a lot more like Murraya paniculata, which has a similar common name. It is widely used for bonsai.
Apon further investigation It seems you are correct. Both are called Mock orange but my florals are very jasmine fragrant, it buds profusely on hard wood also. This would also explain why it blooms so often.

Attachments

• 20220726_100918.jpg
    20220726_100918.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom