Model me a bonsai!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And now for something completely different. A special link for Graydon - master of something that looks very much like something that it isn't :)

It's the Japanese National Bonsai Modeling Association. That's right. Not a bonsai association, but a group of people who make model bonsai. I think every now and then one of these shows up on eBay :)

bonsaimodel1.bmp

bonsaimodel2.bmp

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for thinking of me! Those are works of art for sure. I have seen something like that here in the States. I think it is more of a redneck version, I have attached a photo. Notice the water reflection feature in the forum of a mirror.

Attachments

• redneck model.jpg
    redneck model.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 17

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No joke - I was at a bonsai class years ago and the instructor told us a story about one day a lady came in asking for care instructions for a bonsai. She brought in this little plastic tree. The bonsai instructor thought she was kidding - but she honestly didn't know it was fake until he told her :)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The bonsai instructor thought she was kidding - but she honestly didn't know it was fake until he told her

That is a sad commentary on bonsai in the USA .... When I get a tree I do everything I can to it to explore it. That would be a kin to a person not knowing if they were making love to a real person or a blow up doll.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now that you mention it... my wife has been really quiet lately

O Man.....your a brave soul.....I hope she doesn't read this forum ;)

Behr

Yamadori
Reaction score
It would appear that most members I see on this site are also familiar with the BonsaiTALK forum, and I trust there is not a problem with posting the name of another forum here...This past year the admin of that forum held a contest for making 'fake' bonsai using 'pipe cleaners' as the primary material...Attached is my entry from the contest which was awarded first place...

This was a fun project as well as very educational for me, and if I ever teach another workgroup on bonsai design I would certainly consider using this as a tool...This might be a good project for those that have hard enough winters that they experience 'bonsai withdrawal’s'...

Regards
Behr

:) :) :)

Attachments

• 01spring.jpg
    01spring.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 02dormant.jpg
    02dormant.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 03detail.jpg
    03detail.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 04detail.jpg
    04detail.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 8

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I trust there is not a problem with posting the name of another forum here..:)

No problem at all. As far as I'm concerned, the more people talk about bonsai, and invite friends and associates to participate, the better.

It Attached is my entry from the contest which was awarded first place.

I saw your work and really enjoyed it :) It is an interesting learning tool because you create a tree and change it quickly. Need a new branch? Voila! Want to change the planting angle? It is the work of a moment. For some things it might even be faster than a computer virtual image. When I started bonsai it was before digital photography and Photoshop CS2. Fortunately, it was NOT before pipe cleaners :)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
True genius Behr...true genius. As always your work is a great pleasure

Behr

Yamadori
Reaction score
the more people talk about bonsai, and invite friends and associates to participate, the better.

Mr. Nut, Thanks for that...I most certainly agree...I have been interested in bonsai for many years, yet I am still learning new things daily due to discussions of techniques and philosophies...I am registered at several forums, and find good information on all of them...Thanks for giving us another forum to discuss this art...

It is an interesting learning tool because you create a tree and change it quickly. Need a new branch? Voila! Want to change the planting angle?

This is truly one way to study design without the limitations often encountered with the stock...

When I started bonsai it was before digital photography and Photoshop CS2. Fortunately, it was NOT before pipe cleaners :)

Me too...in fact when I started there wasn't even a book written in english...I only had a few photos that created my interest...

True genius Behr...true genius. As always your work is a great pleasure

Mr. Tom, Thank you for the vote of approval...I am so glad you enjoyed the sculpture...I have looked at it every day for several months, I even made it, but I am still finding new things in it...It also gives me a lot of pleasure...

Regards
Behr

:) :) :)

Top Bottom