Moderator Applications

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I vote we find a moderator that will get rid of the Longhorn avatar. Oh, wait, wrong thread...

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does it really matter?

Chris, you recently posted a vague reference and stated flat out that you would not name names and asked that we don't ask...your post was a little cryptic, but we respected the fact that naming such would just cause a firestorm, can you do the same?

There is little doubt that some forums have mods that confuse authority with knowledge, many forums have fallen to beginners teaching beginners, either because the experienced left for various reasons, leaving no other choice, or because the mods have little if any experiance.....does a experienced person have the time to babysit? Would they want to? Judging by the experience levels of mods on the active forums, I would say only the lessor experienced want the job.

Will

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
My view of the job of a Moderator is not to be a babysiter but a person who can call a halt when the attacks go into the personal level.
Mom

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I vote we find a moderator that will get rid of the Longhorn avatar. Oh, wait, wrong thread...

This particular statement should be made anywhere, anytime.There is no wrong thread to suggest getting rid of anything longhorn related.

Gig 'em
andy

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
Andy...Just cause the Aggies have a fake football team (also see pretend) there is no reason to hate the real football teams in Texas.

Rich... No one even knew Oregon had a college football team till they beat Michigan...No real accomplishment however as Michigan lost to Appalacian State which shares their equipment with the local high school team.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rich... No one even knew Oregon had a college football team till they beat Michigan...No real accomplishment however as Michigan lost to Appalacian State which shares their equipment with the local high school team.

I think I have touched off a subject that might truly need a moderator! That's ok, its fall and football, collecting and stying of trees is in the air. My favorite time of the year!

And, I must say, this is an outright lie. Every other team in the country gets Oregon's obsolete Nike equipment and long for the days when their locker rooms will have 60" flat screens for chillin' out after the games...

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Every other team in the country gets Oregon's obsolete Nike equipment and long for the days when their locker rooms will have 60" flat screens for chillin' out after the games...

Having been in the locker rooms of a current top-25 football team, I can say with confidence that Oregon State does NOT have the market cornered when it comes to 60" flat screens. I can also say with confidence that 60" flat screens does not a good football team make.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Having been in the locker rooms of a current top-25 football team, I can say with confidence that Oregon State does NOT have the market cornered when it comes to 60" flat screens. I can also say with confidence that 60" flat screens does not a good football team make.

Considering you just said "Oregon State", your comments are rendered invalid. ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Football? Who has time for football? Man this is the bonsai season, wiring, shaping, some collecting, forums, articles, contests, autum pictures, etc etc etc....Man I am starting to hate it when my job interfers with my bonsai...lol.

I am lucky enough to have a job where I can bring a bonsai or two in every day and wire or trim when I am not otherwise busy....great for conversation and they never fail to peak someone's interest here and there...new bonsaists are being created by actions like this which many people are doing around the world.

More bonsaists = more markets for magazines, books, stock, suppliers, workshops, demos, sshows...etc

Piece by piece we are creating what I call the "Bonsai Nation" you gotta love it.

Oh, sorry, what was the topic again? Oh yeah moderators...nope, we don't need them.

Will

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Does it really matter?

C
There is little doubt that some forums have mods that confuse authority with knowledge, many forums have fallen to beginners teaching beginners, either because the experienced left for various reasons, leaving no other choice, or because the mods have little if any experiance.....does a experienced person have the time to babysit? Would they want to? Judging by the experience levels of mods on the active forums, I would say only the lessor experienced want the job.

Will

It's unfortunate that on many if not most forums the members expect the moderators to be experts.
The job of a moderator is to enforce the forum's rules, nothing more. If there are are no problems with the rules being broken, then no moderator is needed. A moderator is still a member and entitled to post their ideas and opinions but their posts should not be considered any more valuable or correct than anyone else's. If wrong or questionable they should still be corrected by a more knowledgeable member, without fear of edit or deletion as long as the correction is done in a civil manner.

What's most difficult on an international forum is to find people that without really knowing them, going only by their previous posts, are going to be able to enforce the rules without prejudice, in a fair and respectful manner, The administrators may not always be successful in their choices.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does it really matter?

Chris, you recently posted a vague reference and stated flat out that you would not name names and asked that we don't ask...your post was a little cryptic, but we respected the fact that naming such would just cause a firestorm, can you do the same?

Will

Some things should be reserved for less public utterances. If you or Vance would care to PM me, I would keep it in strictest confidence for my own edification.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Wayne! I can't believe you are hanging out in locker rooms! (No senatorial gags allowed here). (oops)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's unfortunate that on many if not most forums the members expect the moderators to be experts.
The job of a moderator is to enforce the forum's rules, nothing more. If there are are no problems with the rules being broken, then no moderator is needed. A moderator is still a member and entitled to post their ideas and opinions but their posts should not be considered any more valuable or correct than anyone else's. If wrong or questionable they should still be corrected by a more knowledgeable member, without fear of edit or deletion as long as the correction is done in a civil manner.

What's most difficult on an international forum is to find people that without really knowing them, going only by their previous posts, are going to be able to enforce the rules without prejudice, in a fair and respectful manner, The administrators may not always be successful in their choices.

This is an excellent point. There must always be an exchange of ideas, and the moderator's job is not to advance one or the other in a debate. Their job is to facilitate the debate by helping keep excess emotion out of it. But it all depends on whose ox is being gored, I suppose.

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Admittedly. I'm also a mod on a woodworking forum (which is far less work).

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL...bisjoe...Aren't you a mod over at bonsaisite.com?

Of course he is, and a very fine one. Not sure why the "LOL".

Joe, I think your points above are very well considered and well expressed. Of all the problems BS has had, I never once thought the mods had anything to do with its decline, and indeed I think they kept the peace marvelously well, even when yayhoos like me were spinning out of control with frustration towards the end of my stay there. I may certainly be in the minority here, and my vote should not count for much anyway since I will probably just remain a bit of a quasi-lurker at BN - but I think mods would be an asset here, especially if they brought to the job the sort of integrity and wisdom you have shown at BS.

Any word on those burls??

Will Hiltz/grouper52

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Of course he is, and a very fine one. Not sure why the "LOL".

Any word on those burls??

Will Hiltz/grouper52

Thanks for that Will, it means a lot to me.

As for the burls, I spoke to my Mom last night and asked. She says the guy with the mill is trying to finish a patio at his home and still hasn't had time to set up the mill for slicing the burls. He had it set up for slicing logs into boards that he used for the concrete forms.

They were up there for dinner last week and she thinks he's getting close on the patio though so it shouldn't be much longer.

Joe

Top Bottom