Modified thread graft

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I have this stout little Dwarf Eastern White Pine that's seems to be pretty healthy, but as with most EWP
the foliage is out at the end of the branches. See: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/garden-center-ewp-nana.19383/#post-264231

So I have to do something to get this looking like a decent bonsai. I may twist some branches down to compact it, but other branches have to go. Before cutting them off, I decided to try grafting some leaves from out on the ends of the branches, down lower.

I don't know if I thought this procedure up by myself, or saw it here (apologies , if so) but I dislike the way the approach grafts angle off of the trunk. So here's what I did:

I skinned the bark off of a small flexible branch.
Trimmed.jpg
Using the size of the "barkless" branch to select a drill bit, I drilled a hole in the recipient branch.

Bit in hole.jpg

Here's where it get different I believe. I then slit the branch horizontally, half-way through and bent the recipient branch backward to open the hole. (sorry, no pic of that)

slitted.jpg
I slipped the smaller branch through the slot and into the hole that I drilled. Then I pulled the slot closed and put on some cut paste.

gooped.jpg
I wrapped it in grafting tape, and (unpictured) hung a weight from further up the recipient branch so that it holds the slit in the closed position.
wrapped.jpg

Total time that the bark was cut and open to the air was a minute or two. If this works on this tiny branch I might consider it on larger ones. I can see pulling a pencil thickness branch down and into a 1" branch closer to the main trunk.

Opinions? Has anyone done this on pine, especially on larger branches? Basically, I guess that I am asking if I can slice a branch in half (radially?) and quickly reconnect it without killing it.
CW

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting!

I can't say that I've ever done this or seen anyone else do it, but...people cut wedges out of pines all the time, often cutting halfway through the branch...then bend so that the edges come together, and that works. So why wouldn't this work? Not sure what kind of scar you will have after it all heals.

Let us know how it turns out. I think I would have chosen to put a piece of thick wire on the branch to hold the wound closed, not sure about the weight...

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am asking if I can slice a branch in half (radially?) and quickly reconnect it without killing it.
Sure, as long as there is a line of cambium and a little intact xylem (wood) it should be okay.

A line of cambium ensures that the polar auxin transport (PAT) flow exists (signals life above, hence prevents damage response) and is a line of 'stem cells' that will generate xylem to transport water to the tissues above. IOW, you really don't want to cut all the way through the stem.

Success of a graft depends upon the cambium of the scion and 'mother' aligning so that a common layer of xylem is generated. This is the hard part of a successful graft.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you may have More success splitting the branch down lengthwise and wrapping it all the way back up to the fork.
You'll keep sap flow all the way around it that way.

More wound....easier heal IMO.

Nice.

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would recommend standard grafting of foliage in place vs doing this. Less scar, you control the angles and you can even pick what variety of tree you want to graft into it as EWP is not an ideal Bonsai subject... the way pines heal large wounds I suspect you will find this branch unusable in the future if it does live.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would recommend standard grafting of foliage in place vs doing this. Less scar, you control the angles
My problem with standard approach grafts is the unnatural angle that it creates. Though, to be honest, I don't have any matured grafts, so maybe its a moot point.

I think you may have More success splitting the branch down lengthwise and wrapping it all the way back up to the fork.
Now THAT is a good idea @sorce . Drill the hole, split the branch, insert graft, rewrap.

Thanks for the replies.
CW

Top Bottom