Mokes Cement Rock Pot How To

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just wanted to share how I make cement rock pots. I promised @Silentrunning @Woocash & many other B-Nuts that I would take pics and show a step by step how to?
So I hope this helps someone create their own :)

First, I start with an idea in my head sometimes I draw it out but usually just imagine what I am shooting for. Once I have a mental plan or drawing I start to form my armature out of expanded aluminum mesh, be careful it’s sharp stuff!!!
B8F5065F-9ECA-4248-BD4A-B9B59E1C475A.jpeg

Now I have the shape I’m wanting I cover it with a metal window screen. I sew the screen to the expanded metal with a thin thread like wire. Some spots I will use hot glue to attach it.
FF2964CC-2E6A-4E6A-9E7C-E89C752DCB00.jpeg
Now I’m ready to start applying my cement, but before I do I cut out the area of screenwhere my drain hole will be located I don’t worry about tie-down holes at this point, I use a masonry drill bit after it is totally cured for them with no issues and I can put them right where I need them.

Here’s the cement I like to use it’s tough stuff once it’s fully cured. I have been using it for years and have yet to see a crack.
24FAA73B-0E8C-404B-9E8B-13DAF52789EF.jpeg

I also add a small amount of nylon reinforcing fibers to each batch I mix up. I also add any desired color pigments at this point as well. Add only a little water at a time then mix, you don’t want it too wet or not enough water or it will not stick to the armature. It’s a somewhat fluffy peanut butter consistency if that helps any?
3DBEE45B-2FDA-42BE-A3DB-EE08C311ED80.jpeg

I only mix small batches of cement for each layer to prevent waste, because the cement will get tougher to work as it begins to cure. I use a 5 gallon bucket to mix it up in. I also like to use a drill with a mud mixer to ensure I get a very thorough mixing.
8A5191A7-BD33-4C52-BD5E-572B8264819A.jpeg

now apply a thin layer to coat and fill the armature I try and fill any gaps and hollows if possible.
074434A1-9458-40FD-89BC-2E54C9ED6807.jpeg

Here it is completely covered, you may have to coat the top half and then let it sit overnight covered in plastic to prevent it from drying and flip it over and coat the bottom the next day. Once you have coated and let it cure for a day it’s ready to start the next layer.
5AE1BF97-D87D-489C-826A-C03AA329CDD8.jpeg
it’s important not to let it dry out between layers. I have a spray bottle that I apply a light mist to it as needed, just don’t get it too wet and make sure to cover it well with plastic sheet or garbage bag between layers.
I ended up applying 3 roughly 1/4” layers and let the 3rd layer set up overnight which seems to be perfect for the carving process, too soon and it’s like trying to carve frosting. Wait to long to start carving and it’s like trying to carve cement ;) 8-10 hours cure covered overnight seems to be perfect.
4555620B-E85D-4AD2-B929-DFA3442CC301.jpeg
I use a variety of tools, a small point and a paint brush seem to be my most used. I continue carving until the details I desire are complete, because you will not be able to work it the next day it will be too hard.
Well here’s my new cement rock pot that I completed this morning. I think it took about 5-6 days to complete?
CD913EC8-66F1-4EB0-A814-93AD8D6C0EB2.jpeg
After the carving was completed I highlighted and applied some surface pigment which consists of small amount of powdered cement dye mixed with concrete acrylic bonding agent brushed on lightly and rubbed off in spots.

Here’s the finished pot after a little color was added. Now I will leave it covered and moist in my basement to prevent it from freezing then I’ll place it outside in the elements for a few months. After that it’s ready for a tree.

9D29D4C0-C272-4431-AB26-ED17BD2DF88E.jpeg
Hope this helps someone? Let me know if you have any questions?

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A Mighty Fine Fabulous!......photographed really well....documented steps that can be followed...exceptional explanations of critical decision points ( like drying time between layers) and a great complete progression from the start to the finish. Really well done!

I especially like your texturing of the created rock standing. Really looks natural. A few months outdoors and it will look even better as nature cures and colors.

Thanks for posting.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@moke when you say “covered in plastic”, are you applying the plastic directly to the cement like a bandage on a wound? Or just over it like a tent?

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@moke when you say “covered in plastic”, are applying the plastic directly to the cement like a bandage on a wound? Or just over it like tent?
Just lightly tented over it to prevent it from drying, Home Depot sells super thin drop cloths that work perfectly they are so light they don’t cause any issues on the wet cement.C19DDF2D-8569-4883-B9F9-C12E4A4C9405.jpeg

Last edited:

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fantastic work! What do you think is the upper size limit for this technique?
As long as the armature supports the initial cement application until it cures enough to make the armature rigid. I don’t see a size limit, you may need to reinforce the armature with rebar or a heavy gauge wire depending on how much cement is applied.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is so amazing. I've been looking for a tutorial exactly like this. Thank you. I have read that there can be some issues associated with concrete leeching harmful elements into the bonsai soil. Is there any validity to that concern?

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is so amazing. I've been looking for a tutorial exactly like this. Thank you. I have read that there can be some issues associated with concrete leeching harmful elements into the bonsai soil. Is there any validity to that concern?
I have had plants and trees growing in concrete pots for many years and have not seen any issues that I could attribute to the concrete itself. I alway allow it to cure for at least a month and allow it to sit in the weather and occasionally rinse the containers off for another month before I put a plant in them.

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is great info @moke ! I also used expanded metal, but I didn’t use the window screen and wish I would have! Thanks for this thread and sharing your technique. Very inspirational. I’ll share the rock I made here in a very similar fashion using the same material. One that I made after seeing another of your slabs. I’ll admit though that I stumbled my way through this as I wasn’t entirely sure how it would work out. I used the quickrete dyes in my mix. Then stained the rock in a few places after. I covered with plastic and continued to spray very lightly with a spray bottle, the piece as it was curing. Seemed to soften up the edges just right for me.

Attachments

• B833AB70-E106-4D2E-A28C-11D19C7FDF45.jpeg
    B833AB70-E106-4D2E-A28C-11D19C7FDF45.jpeg
    520 KB · Views: 65
  • 30A0F7E5-3CF5-4873-901D-5AD233619FF0.jpeg
    30A0F7E5-3CF5-4873-901D-5AD233619FF0.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 65B48540-9F4A-4043-870E-42062330E58D.jpeg
    65B48540-9F4A-4043-870E-42062330E58D.jpeg
    492.9 KB · Views: 65

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel also like this type of thread should be added to the resource section of this website. It’s such great info and it’s very cool your willing to share it @moke

had I not seen your earlier piece and what you used to make it I would have been guessing.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I feel also like this type of thread should be added to the resource section of this website. It’s such great info and it’s very cool your willing to share it @moke

had I not seen your earlier piece and what you used to make it I would have been guessing.
I second that.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is great info @moke ! I also used expanded metal, but I didn’t use the window screen and wish I would have! Thanks for this thread and sharing your technique. Very inspirational. I’ll share the rock I made here in a very similar fashion using the same material. One that I made after seeing another of your slabs. I’ll admit though that I stumbled my way through this as I wasn’t entirely sure how it would work out. I used the quickrete dyes in my mix. Then stained the rock in a few places after. I covered with plastic and continued to spray very lightly with a spray bottle, the piece as it was curing. Seemed to soften up the edges just right for me.
Yours looks great too, I want to make another one soon similar to the shape of the one you made. The first one I made years ago I didn’t use the fine screen either and it was definitely much more of a challenge trying to get it to adhere to the expanded screen. If you make another and use the fine screen you’ll find it much easier to get it to stick.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Thanks, That would be awesome to contribute a thread to the resource section. That was my intention to provide some direction so others could create their own. I can’t wait to see what others create now.

Top Bottom