Mokes Cement Rock Pot How To

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Amazing! A really cool technique, but you’ve made it look so effortless and with a top class finish. I’m very much looking forward to making my own. Thank you so much.

A couple of questions, if I may. How strong are they when finished? Have you ever made any standard bonsai style pots with this method?

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Amazing! A really cool technique, but you’ve made it look so effortless and with a top class finish. I’m very much looking forward to making my own. Thank you so much.

A couple of questions, if I may. How strong are they when finished? Have you ever made any standard bonsai style pots with this method?
Thanks, they are very strong once cured. I was actually pondering 🤔 a traditional styled type pot yesterday it should work great, I’ll try and make one soon. I can’t wait to see what others create, so get to it.:D

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Very nicely done.

For others, one of the keys to @moke 's success is the use of a vinyl-cementitious patching compound. Regular concrete is not intended for applications less than 4 inches (10 cm) in smallest dimension. The vinyl, in the cement matrix gives the flexibility needed to use in thin applications. Mortar and regular portland cement mixes do not do well in thin applications.

There are dozens of different cementitious-polymer blends, some use vinyl, some use acrylic, some use other polymers. My preference is for the vinyl-cementitious blend, though the others may work equally as well.

Ciment Fondu - a high alumina cementitious material (non-Portland cement) is a different creature than Portland cement. THe spelling "Ciment" is from French as the process was originally patented by LaFarge, in France. The spelling today indicates any of the high calcium aluminate cement materials. It is commonly used in foundry applications as it is very heat resistant. Concrete made with Portland cement will decompose at high, foundry temperatures. It is often used in "art projects" because it is much slower setting than Portland cement based products. It is also used more often in Europe, because it was invented and is still primarily marketed by the French company, LaFarge. Erik K uses Ciment Fondu for his works.

Personally I think The vinyl-cementitious patching products are MUCH easier to use than Ciment Fondu. I think the vinyl in the matrix makes them more durable, crack resistant than any other product.

I am retired from the concrete industry, so while I have not made any concrete bonsai containers, I have worked in the lab with concrete chemistry, for over 35 years. I retired 10 years ago, and have forgotten many details, so I don't claim to "know it all". And my area was admixtures for concrete, rather than other areas of concrete applications.

So for what it is worth
this is the type of stuff to use

24faa73b-0e8c-404b-9e8b-13daf52789ef-jpeg.284436

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nicely done.

For others, one of the keys to @moke 's success is the use of a vinyl-cementitious patching compound. Regular concrete is not intended for applications less than 4 inches (10 cm) in smallest dimension. The vinyl, in the cement matrix gives the flexibility needed to use in thin applications. Mortar and regular portland cement mixes do not do well in thin applications.

There are dozens of different cementitious-polymer blends, some use vinyl, some use acrylic, some use other polymers. My preference is for the vinyl-cementitious blend, though the others may work equally as well.

Ciment Fondu - a high alumina cementitious material (non-Portland cement) is a different creature than Portland cement. THe spelling "Ciment" is from French as the process was originally patented by LaFarge, in France. The spelling today indicates any of the high calcium aluminate cement materials. It is commonly used in foundry applications as it is very heat resistant. Concrete made with Portland cement will decompose at high, foundry temperatures. It is often used in "art projects" because it is much slower setting than Portland cement based products. It is also used more often in Europe, because it was invented and is still primarily marketed by the French company, LaFarge. Erik K uses Ciment Fondu for his works.

Personally I think The vinyl-cementitious patching products are MUCH easier to use than Ciment Fondu. I think the vinyl in the matrix makes them more durable, crack resistant than any other product.

I am retired from the concrete industry, so while I have not made any concrete bonsai containers, I have worked in the lab with concrete chemistry, for over 35 years. I retired 10 years ago, and have forgotten many details, so I don't claim to "know it all". And my area was admixtures for concrete, rather than other areas of concrete applications.

So for what it is worth
this is the type of stuff to use

24faa73b-0e8c-404b-9e8b-13daf52789ef-jpeg.284436
Thanks Leo, awesome information you have provided. I thought you had said you had worked in the cement industry at some point, I was going to ask you what the benefits of using a vinyl cement were? I could not remember why I started using it in the first place. But now we know, thanks again for the great information you always put out.

Top Bottom