Mold in indoor cold storage

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reaching out to any of you folks wintering trees in an indoor cold room. What are you habits to keep mold away, when keeping temperate trees in a cold room? @JudyB I know you have an amazing set up, have you ever encountered mold on dirt, or trunks? I am wintering some azalea, and pieris in a cold sunroom. Thanks to any, and all who contribute to the conversation!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you had mold, I would bleach everything then I would do something to make sure the humidity is not so high to promote mold.

Be careful with using the bleach, set up a fan and make sure you ventilate the space and get plenty of fresh air while you are cleaning things up.

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've had a white mold-like growth, and also some black mold fungus, happen even in areas outdoors where there is little or no wind movement around some ground growing trunks....pre-bonsai material. Watered areas that seemed to stay moist and shaded by the trees themselves. I cured it by using a mold treatment spray from Home Depot. I attached a photo of the bottle from the HD website. It worked very well. No damage to the trees growing. I use the spray. Sprayed on the soil, directly on the mold, on the tree trunks and general surrounding area..some sprayed on the lower tree leaves. Then I gently raked the very top of the loose soil away. I don't think I needed to remove the soil....but I did anyway because I could do that easily. I bought the MoldControl gallon size though....I figure I'd need more again sometime.

Note the "no bleach" in the ingredients...that is something I specifically looked for. It's also available in an aerosol spray.

The product worked very well. I tested it first...killed a mold growth quickly. It seems to kill all the way through the mold and not just the surface. You might give it a try.

The MoldControl was less cost at Home Depot than any other outlet...including Amazon. Information from the website:
Concrobium Mold Control is a proven mold fighting solution that effectively eliminates and prevents mold. It can also be used to clean up mold and get rid of musty odors with no harmful chemicals. The product works as it dries by crushing the mold spores at the roots and leaving behind an invisible antimicrobial shield to prevent future mold growth. Use Concrobium Mold Control for water damage restoration, construction and renovation (pre-treatment of building materials), specialty mold clean-up and prevention and general interior maintenance. This patented formula is used by homeowners and professionals.

• Eliminates, cleans and prevents mold and musty odors
  • Contains no bleach, ammonia or volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
  • Penetrates to the roots of mold
  • EPA-registered
  • Works on drywall, concrete, wood, masonry, siding, shingles, stone, grout, plastic, tile and many more surfaces
  • Ideal for basements, bathrooms, laundry rooms, attics, closets, garages, windows, car interiors, boat interiors and RVs
  • Colorless and Odorless
  • Note: product may vary by store

Attachments

• IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 15

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have never had a problem with any mold with the exception of the insides of the humidifiers. There is enough air circulation in my cold house that it's never been an issue for me.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Ventilation and air circulation. In my new cold frame I was at 85-95% humidity until I installed vents on the front and back and now the highest the humidity gets is 63%. High humidity and zero air circulation is going to = mold problems.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
mold will grow at 65% right? or is 68%?

Mold generally does not grow in cold environments. Warm, humid conditions are ideal for mold growth. Most molds need temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) or more to grow. Although mold can grow in temps as low as 32f if conditions such as poor circulation is a factor.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ventilation and air circulation.

Nailed it :) Our indoor plant room has a ceiling fan running in reverse 24 hours a day. It also has an Air Filter that runs 16 hours a day and a Humidifier set at 65 percent. They all contribute to good air circulation. The heat remains at a constant 72F being forced air with a electric oscillator that occasionally kicks in as a supplement.

The Humidity in the room varies by location giving me micro climates for various plants. One area stays at 50 percent, two at 55 percent, two at 60 percent, and three at 65 percent. There is plenty of humidity to produce mold but with the heat and air circulation there is no mold even in plants that take wet feet.

The room itself is also painted white semi-gloss acrylic and is mold and mildew resistant - I don't think that has any effect though other then reflecting light good in all areas.

mold will grow at 65% right? or is 68%?

For health purposes the recommended high level is considered to be 50 percent if you have allergies. I am certain that mold can occur at 60 percent given cool, damp, and low light conditions but needs the combination.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have never had a problem with any mold with the exception of the insides of the humidifiers.

This cures that problem. I toss in one capful every two weeks all Winter as it runs pretty constant. Far less then they recommend bit works just fine :)

essick-bacteria-treatment-1970.jpg

Grimmy

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the responses! I am running with a large ceiling fan, and smaller oscillating fans. It will be fun to see how this winter goes. It will be nice to have a place inside to work on trees!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well, well, well...

I've given up growing trees that can't bear a winter - or a summer - in my local climate.

Of course, I protect trees and plants that can bear -25°C when planted in a garden but will die when plants in a shallow pot will die when it gets down below 7°C for several days.

You know, it's like children : let them break a bone, eat dirt, explore the world, help them grow though their own experience.

Or lock them into an aquarium...

Huh huh, a chip from the old block :cool:

FREE!

VK_160816a.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My cold storage area is a ''well house'' that was built before municipal water was installed in the area. It is an underground room, accessible from my basement, that is under the back yard patio. It is about 6 foot x 6 foot by 4 foot tall, I have to crouch to get int there, but I don't have to crawl. All winter it hovers at soil temp, between 40 F and 32 F, occasionally during very cold spells it will get to 29 F. when it is well below zero outside. It is concrete block, which is not totally water tight, humidity hovers close to 100% all winter. First year I used it, fungus and mold destroyed almost everything. Second winter I added an inexpensive fan, just a little 9 inch diameter fan from local box store, maybe a $12 fan on sale. It is pointed at the ceiling, runs 24/7 while room is in use. I have not had a problem at all with mold in the well house ever since. I do need to check for water, and will probably have to water once a month, to once every 3 weeks.

Seriously, adding a fan to your growing area or your wintering area will help the health of your trees, and may eliminate the need to use fungicides completely.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never had a problem with fungus and mold in winter. Conditions:
- a cold room (laundry) in my apartment
- temps 35-50 ℉ (2-10 ℃)
- balcony door open slightly, it's my tool to regulate temperature... so the air is moving.
- air humidity 50-70%.

Trees need watering 2-4 times a month, depending on species. Satsuki azaleas ask for water first...deciduous need less water.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
My cold storage area is a ''well house'' that was built before municipal water was installed in the area. It is an underground room, accessible from my basement, that is under the back yard patio. It is about 6 foot x 6 foot by 4 foot tall, I have to crouch to get int there, but I don't have to crawl. All winter it hovers at soil temp, between 40 F and 32 F, occasionally during very cold spells it will get to 29 F. when it is well below zero outside. It is concrete block, which is not totally water tight, humidity hovers close to 100% all winter. First year I used it, fungus and mold destroyed almost everything. Second winter I added an inexpensive fan, just a little 9 inch diameter fan from local box store, maybe a $12 fan on sale. It is pointed at the ceiling, runs 24/7 while room is in use. I have not had a problem at all with mold in the well house ever since. I do need to check for water, and will probably have to water once a month, to once every 3 weeks.

Seriously, adding a fan to your growing area or your wintering area will help the health of your trees, and may eliminate the need to use fungicides completely.

There is a product called Enershield that can be rolled on with paint rollers. We use it in commercial construction as one of our air/vapor barriers and it would work to seal your concrete.

Top Bottom