Mold or too much spray?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I feel like I may be getting hammered by mold / fungus this year, thought I’d ask and see if folks agree, or if perhaps I’ve over sprayed.

I hit them with malathion last night for insects, a week or so ago with daconil. Here’s a quince in a grow pot as an example - I’m seeing a lot of this on my trees, and I lost a pine apparently to mold as well

Maybe I’m overwatering? I just haven’t had this problem before. It was a hot day today - rapid increase in temps here - so I’m wondering if maybe it’s sunburn, or the malathion caused a burn, or what. I’ve been told this region isn’t even particularly conducive to mold, and I’ve been able to deal with it on one-off plants in the past

Another example.

The trees I keep up on the patio in direct sun all seem fine so I’m wondering what the heck is going on, they got the same treatment

I watered at around 10am so maybe this is the result of getting the leaves wet? Too high a concentration of malathion? really don’t know but over concentration could be the case as it seemed to spread last night to plants I hadn’t seen it on before

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
After looking at a few more my guess is too high concentration of bug juice

Would make sense with the overnight change

D

Deleted member 32750

fungus has been bad for me this year too.
We have had a lot of cool wet and humid weather this spring

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I would say too much pesticide. Looks like what I just did to my peppers…hahahah

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I’m on edge about fungus because of fruiting plants I have. I feel like I remember someone smarter than myself saying that overspraying can be worse than simply waiting…

I must have extra-nailed some trees, my nicer quince looks fine

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This happened here with fungicide on tender new leaves of Vine Maple. Believing this is likely problem🧐. Solution: to spray plant very well before leaves emerge or after harden off has worked well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This happened here with fungicide on tender new leaves of Vine Maple. Believing this is likely problem🧐. Solution: to spray plant very well before leaves emerge or after harden off has worked well.

That’s a fantastic point and makes a ton of sense based on what I’m seeing on the plants. My JMs were all largely fine save for the tippy tip brand new baby leaves - was wondering if I was dealing with sun scald or something too. Looks like I freaked out and oversprayed, lesson learned

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also ph is very important in a pot full of rocks😎

the leaves look to need all the metals ions….iron,mag…..even the tiniest bit of zonc deficiency is precurser to all deficiency…….

Lots belive it does not matter……..well I say they have good water being poured over some cakes or something…….if mixing……I can almost gaurantee the ph is not between 5.5-6.5.

There is no iron absorption or calcium and such.

general hudroponics ph up& down

Also chlorine absolutely stunts growth…chloromine even worse……..get a very cheap RO FILTER…$100 as long as your water pressure is 40 psi or above( then need a very expensive in line pump).
Also add more calmag if using a pure ro water.

Watering pure water will leach all the nutrients out of th roots like a sponge.

I stant plant health with good water and proper ph( aside from the occasional deficiency which can be corrected with spoon feeding of a specific nutrient and usually fix within hours especially if nitrogen which is the most common).

I have experienced mold even yet on Japanese maple seedlings I prefer to grow more heardy are species I increase calcium by 1000 times and it makes calcium pectate in the leaf cells instead of water it’s very effective even my Pines I’ve never used a fungicide it’s year two there’s no black spot whatsoever Japanese maples different story not sure about that.
I absolutely hate insecticide and fungicide if I have to use them I usually will not grow the species but this is all experimental phase I totally enjoy Pines but I can literally see the scene of calcium pectate across the needles and I’m highly confident I will not get needle cast.

This is by adding L Glutamate and L glycine which increases calcium uptake by 1000 times instead of one ion at a time it’s 1000 ions it is the Dutch method of bio fungicide and seems very highly effective against your basic gray molds that puts tubulats into the water they cannot break it through the calcium pectate……. On deciduous trees it almost gives them a artificial plastic type feel it is very very durable and effective on deciduous……… Of course not too much nitrogen or nitrogen assimilation will make very large leaf cells and steal photosynthetic sugar and brix production from the leaves and make them quite weak.

you can see it on these leaves……. Especially there in my high resolution photos the photos degraded a bit on this website Though.

I am definitely still in test phase with my pines but it is very visible the needles have very small cells and a very profound shiny coating of calcium pectate is very easy to see in person.
84D09D2F-6358-4620-A67F-C32E48983BED.jpeg93ED45A5-A094-4F39-AA66-838AEE665D1F.jpeg79580FF4-1A57-4190-9E71-0880BA594194.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I learned a lot in this video.
Hit that subscribe button, the information on this channel is friggin divine.

I think that's the one where he talks about leaving some kinda bug on some kinda plant, not worrying about it, and watched some birds swoop in for the balance check.

The same thing happened to this spruce I was feeding aphids to the chickens from.
The sparrows came through and picked em clean, I reckon they eat the ants too. I can't find any more aphids.

Oh too ...

The cardboard I was shaking the aphids onto before, got put up vertical against the raised bed where this basketed spruce is, I found like 3 assassin bugs on it, like they like the environment.

I been about creating environments for everything, reckon it works.

I'm trying not to use anything but rainwater again this year too. Eff Chloramine.

I feel like preaching about going "organic", because it is so worry free, and I swear I haven't lost any design options in the last eh....4-7 years since I been cold no chemfert, or anything but Neem, which I'm bout done with.

But I think more important is knowing that spraying or not, "organic" or not, whatever these opposites..
You gotta be all in either way.

Can't both buy mycorrhizae and kill it with chemfert, things like that.
Or care about microbes and use chlorinated water.

Yeah I guess it is preaching.
I'm done jumping from one side of the scale to the next, it's nice to not...do.... anything, but enjoy things.

Earth does it better and there's less to learn, less risk.

Sorce

Top Bottom