Mom hooked me up!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m 36 and for as long as I can remember my mom has always encouraged/perpetuated my hobbies and collecting. I’ve still got collections of things that I won’t post on here to save myself from embarrassment. Well she found a local guy in her area of Mississippi who started Bonsai and quit pretty quickly. He sold her 5 pots and a 5gal box of akadama. I’m particularly excited about the large free form piece. Measures about 14” across. Just in time for re-pot season. Sure love my mother.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The free form piece looks like a Dave Lowman pot, is it signed as DaSu?
That’s exactly where it’s from. Can you tell me about the pot or him as a potter? Haven’t had a chance to look into it too much. She just got them all tonight.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Moms rock. Hug your mother and update her when you use the stuff she got you, she’ll love to hear about it.
I like that pot too

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
The hoarder in me smiles, its always great to have more bonsai pots to consider

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That’s exactly where it’s from. Can you tell me about the pot or him as a potter? Haven’t had a chance to look into it too much. She just got them all tonight.
Sure can. I’ve known Dave for over 25 years. His nursery is in Kelley, Iowa, just south of Iowa State University. it’s on an 800 acre farm, beans and corn. I bought my first trees and took my first bonsai classes from him in 1994-95, when it was Dave’s Aquarium and Greenhouse. Still have my notes! He had tropical fish and tropical bonsai in a weird lean-to he built by knocking out a wall in his basement, and enclosing it with a poly top, but it had cinder block and dirt walls. The place gave my girlfriend (now my wife) the creeps, but I was pretty hooked.

Over time, I think he enjoyed propagating plants and making pots more than refining trees. He especially likes those “eggshell” and “scoop” pots. He has a couple signature styles that he calls Special Process and Fossil.

He was married to Sue a couple years after I met him, changed their name to DaSu Studios, and got pretty heavy into making pottery. Sue was really good at marketing him and she put his business online really early on, in fact his website is bonsaitrees.com and I’d imagine he's been offered more than a few bucks for that domain over the years.

Haven’t seen him in about 5 years, but not much had changed; overrun with propagating plants, still firing pots and making stands on the farm.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure can. I’ve known Dave for over 25 years. His nursery is in Kelley, Iowa, just south of Iowa State University. it’s on an 800 acre farm, beans and corn. I bought my first trees and took my first bonsai classes from him, when it was Dave’s Aquarium and Greenhouse. Still have my notes! He had tropical fish and tropical bonsai in a weird lean-to he built by knocking out a wall in his basement, and enclosing it with a poly top, but it had cinder block and dirt walls. The place gave my girlfriend (now my wife) the creeps, but I was pretty hooked.

Over time, I think he enjoyed propagating plants and making pots more than refining trees. He especially likes those “eggshell” and “scoop” pots. He has a couple signature styles that he calls Special Process and Fossil.

He was married to Sue a couple years after I met him, changed their name to DaSu Studios, and got pretty heavy into making pottery. Sue was really good at marketing him and she put his business online really early on, in fact his website is bonsaitrees.com and I’d imagine he's been offered more than a few bucks for that domain over the years.

Haven’t seen him in about 5 years, but not much had changed; overrun with propagating plants, still firing pots and making stands on the farm.
Oh wow. Thank you for the info and back story Brian. I feel truly lucky to have them. I promise to do them both justice with a few beautiful englemann spruce I’ve been working on the last several years. I’ll also make sure to give my mom a big hug and a kiss when I see her. I’ll be visiting family in Southeast Texas in June where she’ll meet me, coming from Diamondhead MS. She’d rather not ship them just to be on the safe side.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I still have one of my very first bonsai pots, which is an early DaSu pot, Special Process with a fossil. It’s one of only 2 pots I’ve ever broken, but this one I glued back together.
7B2A9953-8519-4ECB-90A5-1AA12307FA65.jpegC270B643-8373-4F9E-8B5B-50D283A22814.jpeg

These are my other DaSu pots, which were gifts from a good bonsai friend back home. One small, about 6”, and the other was one of the largest he could fire in his kiln, and it’s pushing 24” wide.
7A3ABE1B-32B6-470D-907D-9373068A4C30.jpeg814FE587-B1EF-405C-BA04-AAA8797E0189.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still have one of my very first bonsai pots, which is an early DaSu pot, Special Process with a fossil. It’s one of only 2 pots I’ve ever broken, but this one I glued back together.
View attachment 278485View attachment 278486

These are my other DaSu pots, which were gifts from a good bonsai friend back home. One small, about 6”, and the other was one of the largest he could fire in his kiln, and it’s pushing 24” wide.
View attachment 278488View attachment 278487
Those are both great. Even better, I’m sure, knowing who they come from.

Here are the chops on both. The rectangle looks thin and as if the drainage holes were drilled through. Won’t know until I get it, but I’d be nervous about breaking the rectangle.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You’ll be fine, he fires everything pretty high if I recall, and uses good materials.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Moms rock. Hug your mother and update her when you use the stuff she got you, she’ll love to hear about it.
I like that pot too
Def will. I’ve got a spruce I’ve been working on that may fit that pot PERFECTLY. 🤞🏻

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have two of Dave's open free pots that I like better than any I have used and you can put about anything in them. Peter

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You’ll be fine, he fires everything pretty high if I recall, and uses good materials.

Mine has fallen quite a bit, has had to hit brick at least once. From 4ft.

Good to go!

I can grab the top of the juniper that's in it and use it like a mace to ward off a pack of coyotes if I had to.

That's a good pot.

The shell type.

That rectangle is too nice to fight coyotes with.

Sorce

Sorce

Top Bottom