Money Tree not doing so well... ideas why?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its not a bonsai, just a houseplant... but have had it for a couple years and over the last 6-8 months its started dropping a ton of leaves. It had a nice full canopy, not its really thin up top and there are lots of new shoots from the old trunks below. The leaves turn yellow, then brown and fall. Typically its the lowest leaves. There is a really sticky liquid that is forming on the underside of the leaves along the vein. I guess I'll repot it and check the roots, but not sure if there is a proper time to repot houseplants. I'm wondering if I should chop it back to the old trunks and try to grow a new canopy. Any thoughts on whats wrong and best approach to save it.

Attachments

• IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1630.JPG
    IMG_1630.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 28

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stuff under the leaves.... Sounds to me like you have BUGS!!

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I didn't see any... but I guess I can just spray w/ some neem and see what happens

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mentioning the sticky liquid, could it be scale? I lost a big Oleander to scale a few years ago. It was outside, so I didn't really notice, until it was too late.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I didn't see any... but I guess I can just spray w/ some neem and see what happens

I would try Daconil first, paying attention to the base and branches the most, cut of the bad foliage. The new foliage should be ok, if not repeat the process. I have seen similar on those, and similar plants indoors without enough air circulation...

Grimmy

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
Looks like droplets under the leaves - which is usually a sign of some sucking insect.

Can you please take better photos of the droplets?

See anything that looks like this?

Scale_insects_%287244837120%29.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mentioning the sticky liquid, could it be scale? I lost a big Oleander to scale a few years ago. It was outside, so I didn't really notice, until it was too late.
I agree.
They are always on the underside of the leaves and/or on the petioles and look like innocent little spots. Swab a spot with a Qtip loaded with some alcohol - the spot will fall off it is scale. Any kind of horticultural oil will snuff them out - I prefer NEEM. Even though I generally use a peroxide solution (2 tablespoons 3% peroxide from the grocery/pharmacy in a quart of water) for fungal troubles, NEEM also has some antifungal effects.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
YOU MUSY COLLECT THE PEE OF A VIRGIN RED HEADED GIRL!

SAVE IT IN A GLASS JAR UNTILL THE FULL MOON!

THEN RUB THE PEE ON THE UNDER SIDE OF EACH LEAF, COUNTER CLOCK WISE, USING YOUR LEFT HAND!!!

Good luck sir....

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
INSECTSS!!!!

Probably aphids or scale inseccs.

I HATE THEM!!!!

Top Bottom