Money Tree not growing leaves.

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm very new to this species of plant, so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong!

I have a Money tree. I got it from Lowes. The pot had no holes and it had a large amount of smelling water in the bottom. I moved it into another pot that has drainage. Then they leaves started to get spots on them and they died off. Now there is one puny leaf left. Also it's peeling at the base of the plant.

I have it in full sun and I water it when I see that the soil is getting dry. I've uploaded 2 photos of the plant.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20150314_191328.jpg
    20150314_191328.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20150314_191409.jpg
    20150314_191409.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smelly water goes hand in hand with root rot.

With no drainage holes, this was the problem. Those big roots even look pretty beat up.

I'm guessing you could let it get a tad dryer even, or use a chopstick.

It should come back.

The question is.....do you care of it does? Energies may be better spent elsewhere!

Sorce

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
I'd love to see this beautiful plant come back. I got it because I thought it was very pretty.

Is there any special things I should do for it? I live in central Florida and this guy is in full sun most of the day.

Should I try to fertilize it?

Thanks

marc206

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
No do not fertilize. The last thing you want to do to a sickly plant is fertilize. It will most likely be the last thing you do to it. Keep it in part shade till the leaves come back. You don't want it in full sun right after a repot. what type of soil/aggregate did you use?

I also wouldn't consider ever making this a bonsai. I know they sell it at Lowes as a bonsai. But it is not. Very unnatural movement. They do make nice house plants. Good luck.

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
I used a fast draining soil that I got from a nursery.

I like the plant either way, so if it can't be a bonsai, then I will just take care of it normally.

How long should it stay in the shade. And do I keep all repotted plants in the shade for a bit? I'm sorry for all the questions I'm quite new to this.

Thank you so much for the advice!

marc206

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Anything with morning sun is perfect. Well you would keep it in that spot for awhile till it looks like its growing normally. This plant can take a lot of hits. That's why they're great houseplants. Because they are hard to kill.

Allen

Seedling
Reaction score
Why not you consult with any local person that deal with it. Because he will provide you best solution according to environment and other factors that must be considered.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't even think to go to Lowes and buy one already started. I started mine from seed.

I planted three crisp $100.00 bills and watered them in. So far nothing. Package said I would triple my money the first year. So far I'm out the 3 bills. I should have bought the stupid beans.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't even think to go to Lowes and buy one already started. I started mine from seed.

I planted three crisp $100.00 bills and watered them in. So far nothing. Package said I would triple my money the first year. So far I'm out the 3 bills. I should have bought the stupid beans.

You can't use the ones with big faces.
Only the small face ones have the proper hormones. They stopped using it in the production of the new ones.

Also, what type of soil did you use?

Planting direction?

We need to know more information before you can get detailed advice.

Here is one I planted In the ground several years ago, it was recently repotted into this pot from the Tinman. After he got his heart he went into business churning these things out. To commemorate his introduction to the world, these pots have no chop, rather, a rust stain.
The older ones are more sought after and command a higher price. This one I got on eBay at a low price because the seller was not aware of the maker. Haha sucker!

Anywhoooo. Here it is.
money-tree-11.jpg

I suggest trying again, it's absolutely no use trying the beans.
Trust me, Its a scam.

Sorce

Top Bottom