Money Tree

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm not sure if my money tree is considered a tropical tree. If it's not I'll repost in the correct spot. Sorry I'm new to all this.

My money tree has large white blotches on its leaves. It kinda looks like if it was sprayed with bleach (which I know it hasn't) The only thing I can think of is I've had it outside in full sun for a couple of days. I brought it in because it was getting cold. So the only thing I can think of is it's sun damage.

I attached a picture of the damage.

Attachments

• IMG2135.jpg
    IMG2135.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 85

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
Stores sometimes use "leaf shiners" on the leaves.. i dont know excactly what it is but you just spray it on and the leaves shine.

You could try to take a moist towel or something and gently wipe the leaves

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
Ops sorry didnt see the worst leaves right away.. as for those i dont know.. but rest of the leaves looks like they could have been sprayed with leaf shiner some time ago

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A change it light conditions could have caused some leaf scorch. If it had previously been inside and you put it in direct sunlight it will cause damage. Water resting on the leaves can magnify the intensity causing spotting. This is tropical and should be indoors in winter. Under the right conditions this plant should flourish. Indirect light is fine. Humidity levels should be high. Mine likes to be misted. Let the plant settle in and the new growth will be nice and green. Cut the damaged leaves off if you get tired of looking at them.
If you put it outside next year, late spring, make sure to acclimate it to the sunnier location by only putting it out for a few hours each day and increasing the duration each day for a week or 2 Likes a dappled sunny spot not direct sunlight .Good luck

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leaf shiners, really ???

You have a fungal leaf spot. If you look closely the whitish tan areas is dead leaf that looks like it has been eaten away, which it actually has been. Treat it with a fungicide. BTW the rest of the white stains are from your water which is either from a well or is just hard water. Money tree plants have a glossy leave just like many Ficus do, the main difference between the two is a Money tree plant will never resemble a Bonsai. Its like the Ginseng Ficus, grow and enjoy it for the oddity it is but don't expect to ever have something that looks like a miniature tree in pot.

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A change it light conditions could have caused some leaf scorch. If it had previously been inside and you put it in direct sunlight it will cause damage. Water resting on the leaves can magnify the intensity causing spotting. This is tropical and should be indoors in winter. Under the right conditions this plant should flourish. Indirect light is fine. Humidity levels should be high. Mine likes to be misted. Let the plant settle in and the new growth will be nice and green. Cut the damaged leaves off if you get tired of looking at them.
If you put it outside next year, late spring, make sure to acclimate it to the sunnier location by only putting it out for a few hours each day and increasing the duration each day for a week or 2 Likes a dappled sunny spot not direct sunlight .Good luck

Utter nonsense !!! I wonder how trees survive a sun shower ? Shewwww ! :rolleyes:

ed

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
leaf reduction

Leaves do not reduce very well. This large leaf sprouted this week.

IMG_20141226_180535.jpg

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your advise. I only bring the bonsai in when the temp dips below 62F. I am going to removed the damage leaves.What fungicide do you suggest? There's a bonsai nursary down the road a bit so they may have something or can get something. I usually put all my bonsai on a table in the sun, but I will either keep this guy in doors or in shade.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you everyone for your advise. I only bring the bonsai in when the temp dips below 62F. I am going to removed the damage leaves.What fungicide do you suggest? There's a bonsai nursary down the road a bit so they may have something or can get something. I usually put all my bonsai on a table in the sun, but I will either keep this guy in doors or in shade.

Just about any fungicide will treat that. What would make you think that a zone 10-11 plant needs kept inside? It needs full sun and high humidity so keeping it inside is problematic at best but can be accomplished, at the least you will be able to keep it limping along. Did you see the above post of the Money tree plant with the ridiculously large, pale green leaves ? That's from keeping it inside. Just because I am in a irked mood right now I will repeat my point that this Money tree plant will never even slightly approach something that resembles a Bonsai tree, at least in the traditional sense, no more so than a Ginseng Ficus or a Sabal Palm. These are gimmick plants occasionally passed off as Bonsai to the unwary beginner. Its the same as buying a braided Bamboo and calling it a Bonsai.

ed

Last edited:

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Leaves do not reduce very well. This large leaf sprouted this week.

View attachment 64876

Your plant is not getting enough light, and it grew a huge leaf like that in an attempt to gather as much light as possible. Leaf reduction is mainly a function of light. More light = smaller leaves.

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
edprocoat, can I keep this tree outside even if it dips down to the 40s? I normally bring my trees in at night if it's going to dip below 62F. If the temps stay up their outside. If the money tree can take the cold temps, I'll just leave it outside.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your plant is not getting enough light, and it grew a huge leaf like that in an attempt to gather as much light as possible. Leaf reduction is mainly a function of light. More light = smaller leaves.

YUP !!!

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
edprocoat, can I keep this tree outside even if it dips down to the 40s? I normally bring my trees in at night if it's going to dip below 62F. If the temps stay up their outside. If the money tree can take the cold temps, I'll just leave it outside.

No you can not, its a tropical plant. Bring it in when it gets down below 50 degrees to be safe. Then put it back outside as soon as you can.

ed

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Yes, It must be starving for light by the size of that leaf it put out last week. Its on a very sunny window sill but we did just have the shortest day of the year---winter solstice. My light source is probably insufficient in length this time of year. Should get enough energy with that leaf. Leaf size is not really a concern with this tree anyway. Its just a fun project. Although that leaf will have to go at some point---will leave it in place now for the health of the tree.

Maybe the tree is foretelling that I'm coming into a big financial gain!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Maybe the tree is foretelling that I'm coming into a big financial gain!

I was thinking too much Wheel of Fortune in the house.

Big Money,Big Money!

Sorce

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
Today I put it i partail shade to see how that goes. I removed the biggest blotchy leaf. So we shall see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone!

Top Bottom