Monkey pod tree potential

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Can anyone give insight into what this plant/weed is? It looks like it has potential as a sub tropical, but not sure what it is.

Attachments

• PXL_20221005_172146299.jpg
    PXL_20221005_172146299.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20221005_172144118.jpg
    PXL_20221005_172144118.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20221005_172149275.jpg
    PXL_20221005_172149275.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 32

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The common name you propose, really throws me for a loop. Normally "monkey pod" refers to Araucaria, a southern hemisphere conifer native to places like New Zealand, Norfolk Island or Tierra del Fuego. The photo looks nothing like Araucaria. Ah, my mistake, Araucaria araucana is called the "Monkey Puzzle Tree" not Monkey Pod. See, common names are confusing. But I had time to browse Wikipedia a little.

Do you mean; Samanea saman?, or Enterolobium cyclocarpum?,or Moanalua?,or maybe Piliostigma thonningii?, or any of a dozen more called monkey pod?

Samanea saman might be your tree. Your tree seems to have compound leaves, which are a match for Samanea. In which case it is a species used for Bonsai by Philippine, and Indonesian Bonsai artists. Most images I've seen of Samanea the trees have been large, over a meter tall and very full, wide foliage canopies. Not saying you can't use them for smaller styles, this is just my recollection.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a monkey pod tree (Albizia saman, a.k.a. Samanea saman). It's a challenge to see what's going on in the photos you posted. A close-up photo of one twig with its leaves against a neutral background would be really helpful to be sure. However, looking at the photos posted so far, I don't believe what you have is Albizia saman. It certainly doesn't look like mine, anyway. IMG_1231.JPEG

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@Leo in N E Illinois @Lorax7 my apologies. In hindsight, in seeing your replies, I should have titled the thread differently. Maybe "broom style potential?".

Samanea saman was the first tree that came to mind when I saw this mystery plant growing in our construction yard. It reminded me the of the wide sweeping canopies, ancient samanea saman trees are known for, so I titled the thread as such. Again, sorry for the confusion.

I was hoping for help in identifying the pictured plant to see if it was worth saving before the landscapers came around, that's all. Any insight is much appreciated.

Jimmy.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Jiminsauga
It is difficult to determine scale to determine size of your plant. Also, does your plant have a woody trunk? If it is a spontaneous sprout, outside in Ontario, Canada it is extremely unlikely to be Samanea, because Samanea is from the TROPICS. Unless its growing in a pile of stone from Indonesia or something.

Start with a list of trees native to Ontario, Canada, and invasive species common in Ontario. That would be a more logical place to start.

Or

If you like it, just dig it up and see if it will grow for you. You can work out the identity over the winter and next year. Remember, outdoor trees need to stay outdoors. If it is native or naturalized in Ontario, it will need a cold winter rest. You can winter it in a cold frame, or healed in your garden at home, but don't bring it inside the house for more than an hour or two while working on it. Keeping it indoors overnight will delay or undo any adaptation it is making to get ready for winter. The cool nights cause trees to move around sugars and store starches for the winter. Warm nights undo these changes quickly.

Top Bottom