Monkey Puzzle: Unsuitable for Bonsai?

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
My wife and I recently visited Kew Gardens outside of London during our first trip to Europe. There we finally laid eyes on an honest-to-goodness Monkey Puzzle Tree. (Before that we had only see vague images from books, though the name alone was intriguing.) It was a lovely specimen and my wife was obviously taken by it since, now that we're home, she's asking me if I would be able to use a Monkey Puzzle for bonsai material (it's not hardy in our zone, so a full-size outdoor planting is out of the question).

So, has anyone ever heard of or seen a Monkey Puzzle bonsai? It doesn't really seem suitable for bonsai to me, but I'm relatively inexperienced, so I could be totally mistaken.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Don't know about prospects as bonsai. They are related to the norfolk pine, and as such, I don't think they are hardy in Ohio. You'd have to treat it as a sub-tropical and give it loads of winter protection.

Dave

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
i saw a $300 one of these recently at sylvans nursery westport MA. it was about 6' tall. amazing. dinosaur style

welcome back the 12 year old thread.

My cousin from Eugene asked me about these trees recently....

...weird.

😋

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the Netherlands they are pretty common in gardens and we have decent frost in winter.
But it's the least suitable tree for bonsai I can imagine.

Top Bottom