Monkeypod tree leaves not opening

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve got a monkeypod tree sapling that I started from seed a year ago. Last winter, I kept it in an office with a large south-facing wall of windows. It made it through the winter ok and it unfolded and folded its leaves each day. This year, I’m wintering a different tree at the office and keeping the monkeypod tree (Albizia saman) indoors at home under LED grow lights.

I noticed that, since I brought it inside, the tree has not been opening up its leaves like it normally does every day when outside. They remain in the folded nighttime position. The LED panel is quite bright and is close to the leaves (a couple of inches), so I don’t think it could be a problem of not getting enough light. I have a couple of Brazilian rain trees (another species with similar nighttime leaf folding behavior) growing indoors under the same lights and the BRTs are folding and unfolding their leaves normally. The lights are running on a timer and set to be on for 16 hours per day.

Aside from not unfolding its leaves, the monkeypod tree is green and looking healthy. Any thoughts on why it’s not unfolding it’s leaves? Should I be concerned about it not opening up? I’ve been thinking about cutting the leaves to induce the tree to push out a new set that would presumably adapt to the new lighting conditions. Do you think that is a wise course of action?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perhaps it is shy or embarrassed for some reason:eek:?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How much is 'a couple of inches'?
My albizia jullibrissin is about 2 inches away from a LED light and it does open up like it should. But it took two weeks for it to adjust.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How much is 'a couple of inches'?
My albizia jullibrissin is about 2 inches away from a LED light and it does open up like it should. But it took two weeks for it to adjust.
The leaves are about 1 1/2” from the LED panel at the apex and 5 to 6” at the lowest branch. It’s only been inside the house for about a week, so maybe I just need to wait a while longer and see if it adjusts.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The leaves are starting to open up now. So, it was just a matter of waiting for the tree to adjust to the new environmental conditions.

Top Bottom