Monster alder incoming.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi guys,

Popped to the father in-laws yesterday, had a wander around his gardens.. "looking for stuff to steal are you?","hehe, maby" I said. Nothing of interest..

As we were leaving, he asked if i saw the alder out the front. Wow. This alder is growing on a bank over a pavement, and because of where it is it's been cut right back god knows how many times for god knows how many years. Long story short, it was awesome.. we're digging it next week.

Sorry no photos but was quite hungover and didn't think to snap it.

Any tips for alder?

Will update.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I see a lot of alders as landscaping trees. They can grow pretty big and look similar to beech. Always wanted to try one as bonsai.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well I asked him to send me a couple of pics, but I don`t think he realized I wanted the the bit next to the ground.. Anyways, here is the top of one of the trunks :p :IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5219.JPG

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello, that is not an Alder (Alnus) but looks like some form of sambucus. Not a good Bonsai subject but I've heard of folks making wine from the berries.
G

So an Elder not an Alder. Thank you for the ID. Looking up it does have a white pith in the branches.. ah well..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dig Alder before you are Older!

Sorce

Dig Alder before IT is Elder!

Lol!

Still is fine...seems big enough.

I just saw a seed throwing a root down the other day....that....is too small!

I would probly lop about half more of those one inch branches off.

Sorce

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Dig Alder before IT is Elder!

Lol!

Still is fine...seems big enough.

I just saw a seed throwing a root down the other day....that....is too small!

I would probly lop about half more of those one inch branches off.

Sorce

Took it back to here.
IMG_20170412_094604.jpg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did your elder live? Was thinking of digging an alder myself

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hehe yes it's alive. On the naughty corner of one of the benches. First on the cull list when I run out of room.. just I keep adding benches... will pop a pic later in the week. Don't get excited though.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Hack Yeah! Been through the mill a bit.. the bulb pan pot got smashed in bad weather, and the cats had used the left trunk as a scratching post, removing most of the bark. So are you looking at Elder or Alder? Don't bother with Elder :p

20180208_131223.jpg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm going to dig a multi trunk alder, it needs to be removed from where it is at either way. I'll throw a pic up when I get it

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Even though it is Elder, and not Alder, it is looking cool. So far so good. I would hang on to it a few more years and see what it does.

Will continue @Leo in N E Illinois :) Has been a good guinea pig for new tools. Was the first to test the nibbler power tool bit last year, and now my new hand carve set. Flowers berries add some interest in the summer, and pops out odd red winter growth. Alot of buds coming on the main trunk now so will have more lot more options this year, and will get rid of some of the thick straits.

It's still giving me enjoyment, so that counts for something ;)

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm impressed with the super fast transition to bonsai pot, gotta love your practice trees

Top Bottom