Monster bougainvillia

reg-i

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
like the title says I removed this out of someones yard for them I did the work for trade. I almost bleed to death the tree was twice a tall before I pruned it down I had to carry this thing myself is it normal to have a testicle hanging out of your ear, man that thing was heavy if anyone wants any hardwood cuttings let me know right away :eek:
bonsai013.jpg

bonsai014.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think I'd do some more removal -- of all trunks (branches?) that have a longer-than-six-inch straight portion on them... You have now a confusing array of branches, many of them arror straight and without taper.

If these are emoved, and th tree babied, watered and fertilized, you will gat massive backbudding and have a vey useful pre-bonsai..

reg-i

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
by no means is it anywhere where I want it I ran out of perlite and energy the picture does it no justice those branches are thick I need to go get a chainsaw

Reaction score
I know what you mean, I dug one of these giants out of my parents yard last weekend that got hit by last year, and the previous years cold... It had died back to about a foot off the ground, and they wanted to get rid of it. I figured I would either make a Sumo style, or plant it in my yard.
I was lucky in the fact that I was able to cut most of it off, seeing that it was dead... But when I went to dig it up, I found a 2 foot deep completely fused together root system!!! The thing was giagantic and extremely heavy. I new it was a very large bush/tree, but I really did not expect to find that...
So, for now I planted it in a very large plastic storage bin, almost up to the level of where it was original planted to... mainly to help it recover, but over time I want to start lowering the planting level to expose all that root!!!

I have to say though, the really bad thing about bougies, is that whether dead or alive those damn thorns still hurt... going through shoes, gloves, etc. As for your tree, what are your plans for it? Are you going to leave it rather large, remove any of the trunks? I remember seeing some taller ones on Miami Bonsai site, in their specimen page... and then there is always eric wigert's trees...

Awesome material !!!!

Last edited:

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
by no means is it anywhere where I want it I ran out of perlite and energy the picture does it no justice those branches are thick I need to go get a chainsaw

perhaps a hacksaw and some patience? nah... chainsaw more fun:p

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
stop over reacting that tree doesn't look heavy at all:eek::eek: nice find...

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The top picture and the bottom one are the same tree? The top one seems to have bark that looks almost like a pine while the bottom one seems to have a more smoother bark like a maple. I love the top plant, it looks like a great start.

ed

Last edited:

reg-i

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the bottom pic is of the branches I cut off they are all rooted now I guess I should put some updated photos

Reaction score
how has your bougie recovered ??? Mine has really taken off !!! Would love to see some photos...

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Strange thing is, once you have the tree in a pot you forget all the suffering until you dig up the next one!

Top Bottom