Monster Crepe Myrtle development

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Somewhere, a long time ago, I saw a picture of a large crepe myrtle done by John Naka and I always wanted to do one. Logistically branches must be allowed to extend for flowering make it very difficult to pull off a smaller flowering crepe. That, and they just LOVE to die back on you so it becomes impossible to keep a high level of refinement.... so always in search of a "monster"... several promised to me from landscapers that never materialized. A few years ago Mark Goodman sold one on FB and we cut a deal for the remainder. He also wanted "one" but had to take the whole row. So similarly I ended up with 6.

When we first loaded up in the Uhaul I thought "What have I got myself into?" and when I got home I boxed up the best 2 and asked the same question again... and "heeled in" the other 4 along our pasture thinking at some point I might do a carving workshop at the Farm. My wife promptly told me I was not going to dig them back up, that they looked like they'd been there forever and hiding my relief I said "Yes ma'am!"

So one got muscled back to the nursery, the second sat on the edge of the drive way awaiting additional muscle.... Well... at some point the half hanging over the lawn sunk roots... and there it stayed as an eyesore for about 2 more years getting the occasional whack back when it got too unruly.

So... it's time has come...0112201739c.jpg

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I remember correctly that box is about 40" wide. The base literally extends the full width of the box, which you can almost see around the dirt...
. 0120201325.jpg

First order of business is eliminating all the basal sprouts (my bad, should have been doing this all along) and basically removing everything that I knew for sure was not going to be used and taking off everything back as far as possible at this time.

THERE WILL BE MORE SHORTENING!

I don't have a front, but I know what WON'T be the front so my chopping considers this... 0120201502_HDR.jpg
Likely this side ^^ holds the front

Not this ant-infested one...

0120201458a.jpg

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So what am I seeing here?

Yes, this is a huge mass of "posts"... far too big, "junk" to those with limitations in experience, vision, etc. Easily a 10 year project including learning how to make very large cement pots... 😅

This will be "Imperial sized" at 4' + about equal to the basal spread...
All the stumps will be taken down as I get back budding. CM will easily put on 1" girth/year on new branches. Some at the back will go away. 0120201455a_HDR.jpg
Basal stumps will be hollowed and some hollowing feature will be used to enhance the very large basal flare that is hiding on that box.
Carving will not be "juniper-like" but "Deciduous-like"- holes and hollows- with the expectation that it will soften and decay and callouses will roll over and eventually seal these big gaps over.
Callouses will add further interest as they tend to be very fluid and muscular. This can be seen where it was previously "stumped"
Overall canopy will be that off a "soft flat top" - slightly rounded with the drooping extended branches providing a soft, wide dome that will carry the flower masses.

Probably the front...

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow! That's a whole lot of Crepe Myrtle! While it could be an outstanding tree someday, as you have said it has mostly stovepipe trunks. Getting this to taper convincingly and to close the sounds is a VERY long term project. And at that point you will still haven't begun branch building. The quickest way to get build your trunks is in the ground. Growing your trunklines in a pot will be VERY slow. Yes it can be done but your estimate of 10 years seems a bit conservative to me.
When and if you see this to the bonsai stage, you are going to need a very large pot. It's not going to be cheap. Just some things to consider.
I don't want to completely burst your bubble but this would be a pass for me. Nonetheless, if you're not worried about any of these concerns, it could be a great learning opportunity. Good luck!

Last edited:

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! That's a whole lot of Crepe Myrtle! While it could be an outstanding tree someday, as you have said it has mostly stovepipe trunks. Getting this to taper convincingly and to close the sounds is a VERY long term project. And at that point you will still haven't begun branch building. The quickest way to get build your trunks is in the ground. Growing your trunklines in a pot will be VERY slow. Yes it can be done but your estimate of 10 years seems a bit conservative to me.
When and if you see this to the bonsai stage, you are going to need a very large pot. It's not going to be cheap. Just some things to consider.
I don't want to completely burst your bubble but this would be a pass for me. Nonetheless, if you're not worried about any of these concerns, it could be a great learning opportunity. Good luck!
I have been doing bonsai for some 30 years now and have an large amount of advanced knowledge and I know this material well. This is NOT going back in the ground but will be in a grow box not a pot so that growth can be regulated as appropriate (never mentioned putting it in a pot) Not unlikely that the "escape pot" method will come into play.

I still predict this is a 10 year or less project. It will look like "something" in 3 to 4- albeit with a character akin to what some would call a Disney tree- gnarled and holey. This species barely rests in my TX climate- as you can see it still has green leaves and will, in the next month have its spring flush; I have had the opposite problem of keeping these from growing out of hand.

This is not so much a learning opportunity but an application opportunity to apply to an extreme piece of material.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm concerned that you aren't willing to COMMIT to a big project, LOL :)

Crepe myrtle is certainly a strong grower that will put up with almost limitless abuse. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. If it were my tree, I'd get rid of all the suckers, as well as recut and carve out those big chop scars. But that's me :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh man. My back hurts just looking at this beast! Best of luck with it!

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm concerned that you aren't willing to COMMIT to a big project, LOL :)

Crepe myrtle is certainly a strong grower that will put up with almost limitless abuse. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. If it were my tree, I'd get rid of all the suckers, as well as recut and carve out those big chop scars. But that's me :)
Damn... it was only the first day... 😅😂🤣

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Impressive that you were about to box it up. Looks like a project full of discovery.

Reaction score
I like the tree and am glad you’ve started a thread!! Thanks

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That, and they just LOVE to die back on you so it becomes impossible to keep a high level of refinement.
Gary Marchal had one with some refinement and he kept it in his greenhouse. I don't know what temperature he kept it at, or if it was more of the humidity that preserved the fine twigginess, so do with that what you will. I've got one I'm working on that I'll have to figure out how to refine and keep it that way.

Top Bottom