Monster Forsythia

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I was given the opportunity to dig this Forsythia from a garden that was being landscaped and they were tossing everything out. A lot of the stuff had been chucked already but this was left til last because it was such a monster. It was about 8 - 9ft high before I chopped it down. Thinking i may take it a little lower or maybe leave the top and carve some taper into it. It's in a pot and is going to be left to recover for at least a year, from what I've read these things are hard to kill, grow like weeds and love to drink. Regular (yearly?) root pruning is a must as they fill tubs and pots ridiculously fast. I had to saw the bottom of the root ball to get it to fit and balance in a pot.Forsythia1.jpg
Forsythia2.jpg
Forsythia3.jpg
Forsythia4.jpg

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I'll keep this thread updated as it progresses. I don't think they're sepparateable but I'm thinking of driving a wedge to force them apart slightly to build a double canopy. Looking forward to this developing

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I say clean it up to the proper separation and 2 next great segments.
2018-04-04-06-07-09.jpg

They are opposite so you will get growth on the back of both the see forward leaning, appropriate thickness and height, separated trunks.
Thats like 4 birds with one stone. And 4 future birds.

A wedge will likely crack something or separate them.

Nice

Sorce

Forest Bean

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That deadwood on the smaller one looks nice. But I'm not fond of how close they are together. The shorter one needs chopped like others have suggested. Or you could air layer it as a seperate tree. Either way, forsythias are beautiful and I'm jealous. :)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My taste would be to separate the two trunks. The one with the shari could stand on it's own. It's wood is probably soft, long term unlikely to persist. The pair together the shari trunk detracts from the larger trunk.

Just my taste, you can do whatever you would like.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't hate the idea Leo, I'm definitely contemplating it. I'll wait and see how it responds to being collected though and see where any die back occurs and plan accordingly

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Cool!
I don't see enough Forsythia!
It's everywhere here, literally every other garden. I see it in skips all the time but the trunks are usually long and leggy rather than thick like this one, or they've been chopped into bits

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's everywhere here, literally every other garden. I see it in skips all the time but the trunks are usually long and leggy rather than thick like this one, or they've been chopped into bits
Oh, yeah, I mean as Bonsai, I don't see enough...
They are common in landscape here too.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I didnt end up cutting this one back anymore. It grew like crazy last year and put on a nice floral display this year. Probably could have done some work on it but decided to leave it for another year.
20190328_180824.jpg

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any updates on this? I need to start a thread for mine, but need to take some updated pictures. Not sure where to take it yet.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Unfortunately not, I was going to have to move house so I gave it to a friend. Ended up not moving and got it back a couple of weeks ago. It's just been left to grow again this year. Will get a picture of it tomorrow

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Unfortunately not, I was going to have to move house so I gave it to a friend. Ended up not moving and got it back a couple of weeks ago. It's just been left to grow again this year. Will get a picture of it tomorrow

Righton. Mine isn't a monster, but it has an interesting wide, squashed base.

Top Bottom