Monster Jasmine - Will it survive?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Today at work I acquired a jasmine which had destroyed the pergola it was growing up and needed to be removed. Such a beast and loads of interest here in this. The only trouble is it was surrounded by a patio so had to be broken out of it’s position and therefore I didn't manage to get anywhere near as many roots as I had hoped. There are a couple of very small clumps of feeder roots attached right at the main trunk. I’ve put it in a big pot with homemade compost and stood the whole thing in a big trug of water where it’ll stay for a couple of weeks at least.
I know very little of the physiology of Jasminums so I have no idea how readily they root or how easily they transplant, especially in August.

Is there any hope? Thanks
E77EA1DE-18C4-43DC-A598-6F0310E93C25.jpeg

I’m not sure of the variety, but the closest thing I’ve found to it is Jasminum X Stephanense. Could it be?
8020FF39-E8D4-47D5-8433-7ADDEDDF56CB.jpeg

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Also, just to ask without starting a new thread, if I wanted to layer these sections off would it be possible or would the internal cambiums still allow for the flow of nutrients? Does any tree when it fuses two or more stems still use the internal cambiums or do they just become defunct as the tree grows?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Why air layer? I'd keep all of what is in the photo. It is a unique and attractive trunk. Work with it. At least that's what I would do. You can do as you like. You don't have to make a "classic Japanese" design.

It should air layer well, but not this year. You need to pot it up, get it established and growing. A tree that is freshly repotted, will fail air layer. You need a healthy root system before attempting to air layer.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Why air layer? I'd keep all of what is in the photo. It is a unique and attractive trunk. Work with it. At least that's what I would do. You can do as you like. You don't have to make a "classic Japanese" design.

It should air layer well, but not this year. You need to pot it up, get it established and growing. A tree that is freshly repotted, will fail air layer. You need a healthy root system before attempting to air layer.
Yes it has interest all over to be honest. Nice bark and sinuously interesting, but it weighs an absolute tonne. Well, 25kg (55lbs) or so, so I’m just thinking of trying to manoeuvre it in the future really. The couple of areas of interest where it’s coiled around itself would be nice in their self I think as well. I did collect as much as possible though so I’ve got better options in the future so we’ll see.

Thanks for the advice. It’s sending out fresh shoots already which is encouraging, hopefully it’s got some roots forming too. We’ve got a fair bit of wind at the moment, but the weather has been perfect for plants recently so everything’s going mad. Lot’s of rain, lots of sun. A “proper” British summer for the first time in a few years. If it doesn’t survive now, it never would.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I quite believe you would! Reckon it’d work?

They talk about it all the time with root cuttings, but I can't say I believe it.

Sorce

Top Bottom