Monster Procumbens

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Usually these low shrubs grow laterally and root themselves along the way. These extra rooting points keeps old specimens from getting a very large trunk. I'm helping an retiring "mom and pop" nursery as they close down and begin to sell their property. He pays me in plants! This tree never established any roots except on the main trunk!!

2016-05-19 16.43.07.jpg
Here it is on their stone wall. The stone kept it from rooting elsewhere for 30 years.

2016-05-21 17.09.28 HDR.jpg
No rooting elsewhere mean the trunk had the chance to really swell up.

2016-05-21 17.55.29.jpg
Here it is after I trimmed off the exceptionally long extension, cut out the dead or long twigs with only tiny bits of foliage on the tips.

Attachments

• 2016-05-21 17.09.28.jpg
    2016-05-21 17.09.28.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 598

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Oh, that is a nice find - isn't it a little late to collect though? at least in my area its way late.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow.

Thanks for posting this. I have a couple on the ground. Now I know what to do to get a bigger trunk.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow.

Thanks for posting this. I have a couple on the ground. Now I know what to do to get a bigger trunk.

Every year I'd make sure there aren't points where the branches are touching the ground and trying to root themselves. I've investigated some large junipers over the years and so often it's just a thumb-sized trunk on the whole mass.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Damn! I've been on a procumbens kick lately, but this is impressive. Probably the beefiest one I have seen pics of. Keep us updated.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Usually these low shrubs grow laterally and root themselves along the way. These extra rooting points keeps old specimens from getting a very large trunk. I'm helping an retiring "mom and pop" nursery as they close down and begin to sell their property. He pays me in plants! This tree never established any roots except on the main trunk!!

View attachment 106169
Here it is on their stone wall. The stone kept it from rooting elsewhere for 30 years.

View attachment 106170
No rooting elsewhere mean the trunk had the chance to really swell up.

View attachment 106172
Here it is after I trimmed off the exceptionally long extension, cut out the dead or long twigs with only tiny bits of foliage on the tips.
Good point about this; you don't find trunks like that on nursery trees.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow! Great find 14er! Do you have a little better post collection pic? I am sure it isn't a whole lot to look at yet, but maybe a side view or something with it by itself would he'll get a feel of what you are working with... That sharp bend in the trunk seems to lend itself to a cascading style, is that your plan for this one?

So over done with this type of Juniper but.. If they were all done with material like this I doubt people would say that in a negative way! Quite a specimen...

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice to see that these are extremely winter hardy. I was wondering since I have one that did just fine in Central Florida. I guess it should need no protection in zone 6b.

I have never seen one as beefy as the one posted by the op. Excellent find.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Congrats on an awesome piece of material. Great to see that it put on growth. Hopefully it will keep growing for you for the next couple years so you can start work on it.

Top Bottom