Montana RMJ Progression

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found and collected this guy in Montana on a trip with Dan and Eric last year. I think I posted the first picture here, along with the other trees I got, after I returned. I dug it out of a pocket in an almost solid granite cliff. Fortunately enough roots seemed to exist in the pocket to make up for the main roots running down into the impenetrable rock, which had to be severed to collect the tree.

The tree struggled slightly for a while after the collecting, then last fall it started putting out new growth, and now it is bursting out with great vigor again. I transfered it to a new and slightly bigger pot yesterday with very little disturbance to the roots I think - the new roots looked very vigorous.

My plans are to clean it up and start bleaching the deadwood, and maybe graft Shimpaku onto it later this season.

Attachments

• BroadRMJ.jpg
    BroadRMJ.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 198
  • MontanaRMJ.jpg
    MontanaRMJ.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 205

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Found and collected this guy in Montana on a trip with Dan and Eric last year. I think I posted the first picture here, along with the other trees I got, after I returned. I dug it out of a pocket in an almost solid granite cliff. Fortunately enough roots seemed to exist in the pocket to make up for the main roots running down into the impenetrable rock, which had to be severed to collect the tree.

The tree struggled slightly for a while after the collecting, then last fall it started putting out new growth, and now it is bursting out with great vigor again. I transfered it to a new and slightly bigger pot yesterday with very little disturbance to the roots I think - the new roots looked very vigorous.

My plans are to clean it up and start bleaching the deadwood, and maybe graft Shimpaku onto it later this season.

that is a monster - love it.

I once asked Jason why he didn't graft his RMJ with shimpaku. Now that I have a RMJ I know why...the foliage ain't that hard to work with and actually looks pretty good...

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
that is a monster - love it.

I once asked Jason why he didn't graft his RMJ with shimpaku. Now that I have a RMJ I know why...the foliage ain't that hard to work with and actually looks pretty good...

Thanks, buddhamonk. We're a bit colder and a lot more wet up here. The RMJ foliage, while it will hang in there for a number of years, more so than the Sierra juniper in this climate, doesn't do well long term, I have heard. But I agree - the RMJ foliage, though there are several varieties, often looks just fine to me. The bark shines up nicely too, if you are partial to such a look on a wild tree, but not quite so much as the Sierra, or to a lesser extent, the Shimpaku.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
You vile evil man. I am so damn jealous I can just spit !!!!!!!

That thing is a monster. I'm sure in a couple of years it will be a georgeous monster. What a trunk !!!!!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You vile evil man. I am so damn jealous I can just spit !!!!!!!

That thing is a monster. I'm sure in a couple of years it will be a georgeous monster. What a trunk !!!!!

Hey Dwight! Long time no hear. How you been? Thanks for the compliments, but I don't deserve them - this is all nature's doing: I just collected the thing. :)

Did you ever get over to that land you talked about where there were some junipers? And how's the backyard project doing?

Great to hear from you again. Book should be coming out in September, BTW. :)

Will

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome looking material Will.

I'm sure there's a good story or two regarding the collecting trip.

What are the dimensions?

Good luck with your grafting plans.

Regards,
Paul

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Will , havn't got there yet. Seems like something always happens. Maybe soon as I'm finally feeling pretty good again.

Looking forward to the book

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome looking material Will.

I'm sure there's a good story or two regarding the collecting trip.

Here are two previous posts about the trip. Of course, a lot else happened as well . . . .

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2745

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2742

I'm very sad to say, the tree I fought the cactus for is looking like it did not survive. The last of the needles finally worked their way out about 6 months ago, though, so the "scars" from the incident are not too great. Still, sad. The rest all look fine. :)

Glad you like the tree. It stands about 16" tall.

Will

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually just went and measured: 22" to the top-most sprig.

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Johnny two pots is still alive?

He was so cool,futuristic even.

Klytus, you're slipping: For once I'm able to figure out what in the world you're talking about! But it did take me a few minutes and a review of the trees.:)

Yeah, he's very vigorous and vibrant - I was just out digging around in the soil in his pot just a few minutes ago, checking out whether he put out any little feeder roots up in or near the second pot.

Lo! And behold! The soil up at that end was chock full, and it didn't seem to merely be roots coming up from the other end. either. So I severed about 5", and figure I will repot when it looks like there is no set back. He'll fit now in a single pot alone. Sad - the end of an era. :)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
looking great Will..... love this tree... and it _is_ a monster.... and Healthy! soooo looking forward to seeing more of this over the years....

the interesting thing as well for those interested is that the tree will mentioned I collected some 10-15ft away or less has the bluer foliage... there is such great variation in the species and amazing shapes....

now.... i gotta figure out how to get to that literati pine.....

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looking great Will..... love this tree... and it _is_ a monster.... and Healthy! soooo looking forward to seeing more of this over the years....

the interesting thing as well for those interested is that the tree will mentioned I collected some 10-15ft away or less has the bluer foliage... there is such great variation in the species and amazing shapes....

now.... i gotta figure out how to get to that literati pine.....

Hey, Eric! We were just talking about having you over last night. The absinthe maker lies fallow . . . :(

You oughta have Vic take a nice photo of your juniper if it's presentable, and post it here. It's also quite a beauty! BTW, in Tagalog, our two trees would be known as, and would call each other, "cababayan", which means people from the same village.

Of which pine literati do you speak?

BTW, my recent post jokingly dissing that blueberry, and the trade that resulted in my having it, proved a bit premature - I'm really starting to like it. I repotted it late one evening as the light was failing, and didn't really get a good look at it. The photo was taken with about a 20 second exposure, and also doesn't really show off its charms very well. From what others here have said, I think it IS a shoot from the old stump, and the shoot is actually starting to thicken up at it's base, and has a gnarly look that I think was previously buried. I'm gonna let it rest a season and fatten up on my special sauce, and then start some clip and grow and gentle guy wire training. Even if it never looks better than it does now, I like it a lot.

The book has gone off to Wayne, who said it looked great, and who said he would make sure it proceeded to printing in a timely manner, so we have much to celebrate - as if we really need a reason to celebrate. :D We'll have to start checking our respective schedules for one of those rare windows of opportunity. :)

Will

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey, Eric! We were just talking about having you over last night. The absinthe maker lies fallow . . . :(

That simply will not due.... we must fix it!!

You oughta have Vic take a nice photo of your juniper if it's presentable, and post it here. It's also quite a beauty! BTW, in Tagalog, our two trees would be known as, and would call each other, "cababayan", which means people from the same village.

what an interesting word.... I likes!!... I think I will have her def take a picture however it still remains in its original collection bag... I may drop it into a pot and give it some room to grow...

Of which pine literati do you speak? the one we saw at this same location. The three of us were trying to figure out to get out on that spire and get it loose without falling... and without ropes...

BTW, my recent post jokingly dissing that blueberry, and the trade that resulted in my having it, proved a bit premature - I'm really starting to like it. I repotted it late one evening as the light was failing, and didn't really get a good look at it. The photo was taken with about a 20 second exposure, and also doesn't really show off its charms very well. From what others here have said, I think it IS a shoot from the old stump, and the shoot is actually starting to thicken up at it's base, and has a gnarly look that I think was previously buried. I'm gonna let it rest a season and fatten up on my special sauce, and then start some clip and grow and gentle guy wire training. Even if it never looks better than it does now, I like it a lot.

I am soo glad you are enjoying it... it has such character and while I was always truly in awe of it I don't think I have the necessary bag of tricks to really bring out the best in this tree... I do know that in your hands its greatest potential and beauty can be reached and certainly appreciated...

The book has gone off to Wayne, who said it looked great, and who said he would make sure it proceeded to printing in a timely manner, so we have much to celebrate - as if we really need a reason to celebrate. :D We'll have to start checking our respective schedules for one of those rare windows of opportunity. :)

lol I was going to say.... why on earth do we need a reason to drink!?... lol ......So excited to have the book off and being printed it will be such an amazing gift to the community..... you have done such a wonderful job....I can hardly wait!

Will

some 10 chars to make the post gremlins happy

Top Bottom