florencechan.ca

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I made some cuts removing calloused material on one of the affected trees tonight; since the last post discussing this, I have not noticed any significant blooms, however there are areas in the clippings which show slight bulging at the base of some needles.

The two bigger nodules previously indicated haven't changed in size or appearance, but that particular tree certainly isn't flourishing as much as the others.

Attachments

• 20200901_180335.jpg
    20200901_180335.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200901_180412.jpg
    20200901_180412.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200901_193634.jpg
    20200901_193634.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200901_193658.jpg
    20200901_193658.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200901_193724.jpg
    20200901_193724.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 26

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you cut open bumps to see if occupied? If so could use systemic bugicide to prevent in future;)?

florencechan.ca

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you cut open bumps to see if occupied? If so could use systemic bugicide to prevent in future;)?
I will take some time to examine the clippings a bit further later tonight. As systemics go, they are rather hard to get a hold of in Canada. Most of what I've read so far also points toward something fungal (if not rust, then potentially Seiridium canker) too.

florencechan.ca

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I figured I would update with how things have been going, now that overnight temps are dipping near freezing and most of these have been brought in.

I sold a few off last month to help with funding for some indoor lighting, so here's what I have left:

20201028_210827.jpg

Most of the others got wired pretty early on to avoid a plain upright silhouette, but I'm actually really liking the branch spread and tight foliage on this one, so it was left to just grow apically.

20201028_210931.jpg
This is the one that started out with brighter long green needles - it's since added a bunch of finer intermediate growth and many of the longer needles have just dried out and fallen off. You can probably see some of the newer growth is getting a lot tighter and more scaley.

20201028_211004.jpg
I don't love that second bend - it's very sharp - but maybe I'll feel differently in a couple years? A chop was done and new leader chosen around a month and a half ago.

20201028_211106.jpg
No immediate styling thoughts - just going to let it grow for a while and see if anything piques my fancy - otherwise it'll probably be sold off next year.

20201028_211206.jpg
I was probably a bit overzealous with early branch selection? But i hope this will grow in to the major one's i've chosen and perhaps I'll grow it as a shohin.

20201028_211402.jpg
This is how far things got with the basket planting. I ended up pruning out a lot of the growth in between before bringing this in. I knew I'd have less available light indoors and I plan to probably separate them in spring, mainly because they've shown strongest growth in this large container, but could probably gain more vigour individually for a bit. That'll also give me the opportunity to pick and choose which ones I want for my forest when that gets put together.

20201028_211648.jpg
2 months of growth, from where my thumb is. A couple of the trees in this basket really just poured on the apical growth in very thin, extended spurts, and are only just now putting out some lateral shoots. I'm hoping to encourage tighter growth next year.

Finally, the three questionable trees I discussed earlier that had signs of some sort of gall are still in my possession - they'll be brought in soon, but i don't really have a lot to report other than to say no further odd growth seems apparent so far.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I like 2 and 5. Leaning toward liking the cliff wind ripped flat top styling of these. Mirai did a video on a huge one. Focused the wiring upward.

Opened mine up today again. Took all the straight ups and downs out, end of limb bunching and crossing branching.
IMHO, pretty easy to grow.

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looking good! My sole Monterey Cypress is healthy with surprisingly dense growth. I tried starting a few more from seed with zero success.

florencechan.ca

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like 2 and 5. Leaning toward liking the cliff wind ripped flat top styling of these. Mirai did a video on a huge one. Focused the wiring upward.

Opened mine up today again. Took all the straight ups and downs out, end of limb bunching and crossing branching.
IMHO, pretty easy to grow.
Yes, I hope to develop the pads along those lines for most of them. I suspect the overall size will require something bigger than shohin to make the pads work this way, proportionally, yet still provide enough foliage to feed the tree properly. Navigating space concerns, as someone in zone 5, will be a thing to think about for years to come (I have Lemon cypress that's really grown like crazy too, and taking up half a shelf at the moment).

Overall, yeah, i've had a lot of fun watching these take off! It's been neat to watch them all develop their own character and I totally did not expect to see a doubling in size with the uninhibited trees over a six month period.

florencechan.ca

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good! My sole Monterey Cypress is healthy with surprisingly dense growth. I tried starting a few more from seed with zero success.
I'm trying cuttings at the moment and a few taken a couple months ago are still quite lush & growing tips feel fresh and plump, not dehydrated. I have not seen any overt foliage growth yet, but am happy to wait for extended root development for a few months.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Have you guys ever seen seeds on Goldcrest monterreys? I never seen seeds on Goldcrest ones even in big trees

florencechan.ca

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you guys ever seen seeds on Goldcrest monterreys? I never seen seeds on Goldcrest ones even in big trees
I can't say that I have. With that said, isn't it likely that seeds from a Goldcrest would simply just end up not being true to the cultivar?

As far as success with cuttings from Goldcrest, I've been having roughly 50% so far. I do find the seem to dry out a bit quicker, but I do not have solid data just yet as it has only been a few months at this point. Given the information offered by some species care sheets, it appears that they do not put off cones at all. As such, I suspect the vast majority of Goldcrest that we see in shops are propagated by cutting.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Here is mine. Seedling picked just about a year ago at about 2 inches. Thing has been pruned about 4 times.

Attachments

• 68A89ABF-E176-47F1-8FC7-3914F198AF50.jpeg
    68A89ABF-E176-47F1-8FC7-3914F198AF50.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 24
  • BACA8711-D9EA-435A-9B53-E19DA97D1CE5.jpeg
    BACA8711-D9EA-435A-9B53-E19DA97D1CE5.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 9C3E63B5-B307-40D3-9861-D08DC8C6145B.jpeg
    9C3E63B5-B307-40D3-9861-D08DC8C6145B.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 23
  • E8DDA83F-ABD2-4356-8D0E-0FCF1F0352E4.jpeg
    E8DDA83F-ABD2-4356-8D0E-0FCF1F0352E4.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 21
  • CB7BDA69-6A48-4F5D-BC4C-5B8835B1E4A7.jpeg
    CB7BDA69-6A48-4F5D-BC4C-5B8835B1E4A7.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 54

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
After 6 months, I am finally moving these from inside to outside. I threw a comparison picture in here that shows my indoor grown monsters vs. the little ones that I grew outdoors. Quite the difference.

Attachments

• 3F416315-7992-4161-BC94-05ADC10CD4DB.jpeg
    3F416315-7992-4161-BC94-05ADC10CD4DB.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 55
  • E9B5B42A-CA90-455F-856E-FFDF11F1ABF0.jpeg
    E9B5B42A-CA90-455F-856E-FFDF11F1ABF0.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 57

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
After 6 months, I am finally moving these from inside to outside. I threw a comparison picture in here that shows my indoor grown monsters vs. the little ones that I grew outdoors. Quite the difference.
Nice, good choice on the containers too. Make sure you keep the trunks wired long enough to create some interesting movement.

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Questions for those with Monterey Cypress experience:

1) I have a 3 year old Monterey Cypress in a 2 gallon nursery pot with semi-organic soil that I’d like to move to a colander with inorganic soil. How does Monterey Cypress respond to bare rooting or half bare rooting for a repot? If this is something I should do, what is the best time of year for that?
2) The above mentioned tree is very bushy and compact for the first 12 inches. It recently sent up a leader another 12 inches, so the growth is very uneven. Photo below. Is this kind of uneven growth common? Is there any benefit to chopping the top off or should I let it grow as-is for another season?

509FE704-F607-4F69-9A16-980AD156C91C.jpeg

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Something to ponder....I haven’t ever seen them weep like your appears to be. There growth pattern is actually upward. Is it in full sun? They need to be.

I have topped my at least 3 times in 2 years. I would take out some of the dense growth...doubled up branch locations, and shoots growing straight up or down. They will send out multiple branches from one location on the trunk. Have to fix that.

Very good info. Go easy on root reductions. Several articles on the species on the website.

florencechan.ca

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Questions for those with Monterey Cypress experience:

1) I have a 3 year old Monterey Cypress in a 2 gallon nursery pot with semi-organic soil that I’d like to move to a colander with inorganic soil. How does Monterey Cypress respond to bare rooting or half bare rooting for a repot? If this is something I should do, what is the best time of year for that?

While my substrate makes it easy to just tease the roots and have it drop out, i try to keep at least some of the existing material for the repot - the stuff that hasn't broken down too much - and mix it in with the new. I honestly don't think my substrate hangs on to too much/any beneficial fungal development, but I have not seen any negative effects from keeping at least some of the old soil thus far. I also haven't been very aggressive with root reduction so far, as I'd prefer that they gain some vigour for a few years (as long as the roots remain fine and not too leggy).

2) The above mentioned tree is very bushy and compact for the first 12 inches. It recently sent up a leader another 12 inches, so the growth is very uneven. Photo below. Is this kind of uneven growth common? Is there any benefit to chopping the top off or should I let it grow as-is for another season?
Was there at any point any change in watering or feeding? Anyway, I do find they are rather apically dominant. Like @Firstflush , I've been able to top some strong upward growers a few times and there hasn't really been any detriment.

@Firstflush Regarding the weeping, i suspect a lot of this has to do with strong tip growth before the branches have a chance to lignify? I've noticed this on some material that hasn't been tip pruned, even on material that was kept outdoors in full sun spring/summer/fall. Alternatively, there are also some weeping varieties out there which grow more prostrate than apical.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
^^^I agree that long new thin growth may weep before it lignifies.

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Something to ponder....I haven’t ever seen them weep like your appears to be. There growth pattern is actually upward. Is it in full sun? They need to be.

I have topped my at least 3 times in 2 years. I would take out some of the dense growth...doubled up branch locations, and shoots growing straight up or down. They will send out multiple branches from one location on the trunk. Have to fix that.

Very good info. Go easy on root reductions. Several articles on the species on the website.
Yes, it’s in full sun. It’s probably getting at least six hours these days and as much as ten during the summer. Thank you for the tips and for the link.

Top Bottom