Monterey Cypress

xc4life

Seed
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Monterey Cypress tree that looked perfect for a bonsai. The biggest problem is that I was in a hurry digging it up because I had to leave or i would never see the tree again. Also I am new to bonsai and this forum so if anybody could give me advice on this particular species that would be a lot of help. I looked everywhere and I cannot find much on Monterey Cypress. I would particularly like tips on trimming and wiring the tree.

Attachments

• 20140720_131604[1].jpg
    20140720_131604[1].jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 20140720_131627[1].jpg
    20140720_131627[1].jpg
    206 KB · Views: 241
  • 20140720_131618[1].jpg
    20140720_131618[1].jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 250

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi! Welcome to Bnut! Don't forget to fill out your location info to properly give you the best plant care.

I'm curious as to how long it's been transplanted into that bonsai pot. At the time of collection, did you leave some of it's native soil around the tree? Was it planted into a large tub, pot, or container first? The reason I ask this is, any newly collected tree will be shocked from a dig. Any disturbance of the roots can cause any tree to stress. As a coastal native, I know they prefer moisture, but the potting soil is iffy.

You're right. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information about this particular species. You might find this link to be useful. http://www.gsbf-bonsai.org/2012/10/28/the-monterey-cypress/

Attachments

• 20140720_131604[1].jpg
    20140720_131604[1].jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 20140720_131618[1].jpg
    20140720_131618[1].jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 20140720_131627[1].jpg
    20140720_131627[1].jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi,

I wish you luck. They are not the easiest thing to dig out of the wild and get to survive. Judging from the rootball I'd be surprised if yours lives. That said, here is an article I wrote about the Monterey bonsai club exhibit in 2007:

http://www.bssf.org/blogs/eric/a-trip-to-monterey/

14604607968_c5af9e267c_o.jpg

14604574479_fc713402cb_o.jpg

14604536640_f89e35daaa_o.jpg

Katsumi Kinoshita is the owner of a few fantastic Monterey Cypress. After visiting this exhibit I started a bunch from seed in 2008. I exhibited one this past spring:

13395683393_e3bb007f4f_c.jpg

They grow very fast.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi,

I wish you luck. They are not the easiest thing to dig out of the wild and get to survive. Judging from the rootball I'd be surprised if yours lives. That said, here is an article I wrote about the Monterey bonsai club exhibit in 2007:

http://www.bssf.org/blogs/eric/a-trip-to-monterey/

14604607968_c5af9e267c_o.jpg

I love the look of this tree. Anyone think a similar design could be accomplished with a shimpaku?

RustyNail

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
found this hope it's ok to put the link here. there's a lot of info about the tree on that page. good luck on the tree.

//guide.makebonsai.com/bonsai_species_guide_training.asp?SpeciesID=5042&Name=Cupressus_macrocarpa

Last edited:

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m guessing their interest in bonsai didnt survive. This was their one and only post and they were never on the site after the following year. Bummer.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sorry to jack the thread, I doubt OP will mind either way. Are Monterey Cypress “high maintenance” bonsai in the same sense like Junipers? Opposed to say something like a Japanese Maple?

I ask because I’m still new to Bonsai and would love to grow one, but would hate to ruin it due to my lack of experience!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry to jack the thread, I doubt OP will mind either way. Are Monterey Cypress “high maintenance” bonsai in the same sense like Junipers? Opposed to say something like a Japanese Maple?

I ask because I’m still new to Bonsai and would love to grow one, but would hate to ruin it due to my lack of experience!

I'm not sure I understand the question... and part of it is because I consider junipers one of the lowest maintenance trees out there. Certainly much lower maintenance than a Japanese maple.

FWIW the cypress family of conifers includes all junipers. Monterrey cypress is in the genus Cupressa... which is the genus for all North American cypresses. So junipers and cypresses are closely related.

If you are asking whether Monterrey cypress are strong growers, yes they definitely are. I just bought a bunch for my landscape here in NC.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently acquired a Monterey Cypress tree that looked perfect for a bonsai. The biggest problem is that I was in a hurry digging it up because I had to leave or i would never see the tree again. Also I am new to bonsai and this forum so if anybody could give me advice on this particular species that would be a lot of help. I looked everywhere and I cannot find much on Monterey Cypress. I would particularly like tips on trimming and wiring the tree.
If you just dug this up (in a hurry), you have far more issues with just keeping it alive, let alone trimming and wiring--that stuff is five years off...You need to fill in your location info before anyone can help. Climate is vital.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm not sure I understand the question... and part of it is because I consider junipers one of the lowest maintenance trees out there. Certainly much lower maintenance than a Japanese maple.

FWIW the cypress family of conifers includes all junipers. Monterrey cypress is in the genus Cupressa... which is the genus for all North American cypresses. So junipers and cypresses are closely related.

If you are asking whether Monterrey cypress are strong growers, yes they definitely are. I just bought a bunch for my landscape here in NC.
Thanks for the feedback! I guess I meant more so “unforgiving” opposed to “high maintenance” since it seems like cypresses and (maybe) junipers, don’t readily back bud like Japanese Maples do?

Amazing username btw… I was about to ask if THE original Bonsai Nut had graced me with their wisdom! 🤣

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the feedback! I guess I meant more so “unforgiving” opposed to “high maintenance” since it seems like cypresses and (maybe) junipers, don’t readily back bud like Japanese Maples do?

Once you get used to them, junipers are pretty forgiving. They will back-bud on younger wood, but yes, if you are trying to get a branch to grow on old wood, you are probably better off grafting one. However they graft relatively easily.

As far as the user name (and site name) goes, I was using the email "bonsainut" when the Internet first came out - as a joke among my family. Several years later I bought the URL... and then eventually decided to create a site. It was something that happened rather slowly, as far as technology goes :) When I worked in software I used the name "Big Tuna" and on many online games I go by "Everpest", so I enjoy entertaining pseudonyms, LOL! Was just playing World War Z: Aftermath the other day, and one of the characters is named "The Big Tuna" and it brought back some memories!

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Once you get used to them, junipers are pretty forgiving. They will back-bud on younger wood, but yes, if you are trying to get a branch to grow on old wood, you are probably better off grafting one. However they graft relatively easily.

As far as the user name (and site name) goes, I was using the email "bonsainut" when the Internet first came out - as a joke among my family. Several years later I bought the URL... and then eventually decided to create a site. It was something that happened rather slowly, as far as technology goes :) When I worked in software I used the name "Big Tuna" and on many online games I go by "Everpest", so I enjoy entertaining pseudonyms, LOL! Was just playing World War Z: Aftermath the other day, and one of the characters is named "The Big Tuna" and it brought back some memories!
It's like Mark Zuckerberg just responded to my facebook post!!! I'm honored, and thank you for imparting the bit of wisdom!

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

There’s a chance they might not do very well in your warm climate. These thrive in cooler, central coast climates.

walee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There’s a chance they might not do very well in your warm climate. These thrive in cooler, central coast climates.
Ohhh good point. I feel like the Japanese Maple I currently have is definitely struggling a little too in this harsh climate. -_-

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Are they sold locally or did you order them?Were they a special cultivar? It will be interesting to see how they take the heat this summer. I’m contemplating moving mine to a similar heat zone as you but a full zone colder which would require protection.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are they sold locally or did you order them?Were they a special cultivar? It will be interesting to see how they take the heat this summer. I’m contemplating moving mine to a similar heat zone as you but a full zone colder which would require protection.

I've got Monterrey, Montecito and Santa Cruz cypresses here in NC, and they appear to love it! They're made it through two winters so far without batting an eye. I ordered them from a number of nurseries on the west coast and had them delivered.

Top Bottom