Montezuma Cypress Project

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I picked this tree up during a sale at a local nursery back when I knew zilch about bonsai except for 'buy big trunks'. I promptly chopped the top off and set it aside to wait for it to push more growth lower. Came back to it this year after learning that y'know, ya need to fertilize it and manage the new growth to manipulate where the tree puts its energy. *shakes head at newb self*

Anyway, it's finally pushing a good deal of lower growth and I've been pinching tips to redistribute energy. My image for it has always been a 'lighting struck sequoia', and I was studying it yesterday, trying to decide on the best front and how to carve the top. It was then that I noticed a deep fissure in the bark low on the trunk with what looked like insect gunk inside. Chipped some bark away and realized there was a massive deadwood scar beneath the bark.

Well nuts, no wonder it wasn't pushing new growth in that area. I think the deadwood runs the whole length of the tree, possibly even into the protruding root, but I didn't want to remove more bark without being sure. I hadn't planned on carrying the 'lighting scar' that far down the tree, but um, I guess the tree had other ideas!

I've made a mockup to help me decide which branches to develop, and which to cut. What do you guys think? Do the placements and proportions look good? Do they make you think sequoia?

Also, my next bonsai related purchase really needs to be a workbench....

Front:
front1.jpg

Front left:
front-left.jpg

Front right:
front-right.jpg

Mockup:
virtual1.jpg

Top Bottom