Montezuma cypress question

Joshuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am repotting a three year old Montezuma cypress. I chopped the apex and trimmed all branches. I also drastically pruned the roots, taking off about 2/3 or 3/4 of the root mass. Now I am afraid such severe root pruning may have been a mistake. I don’t know how well this species recovers from root pruning, but I want this little tree to live. Any advice would be appreciated regarding how to care for the tree after such an insult. Should I leave it in the shade?
I live in eastern Los Angeles county. Temps in my area are forecasted to be in the 70s to 80s during the day and in the 40s at night for the next few weeks.

Here’s a pic:

6AB98111-138D-4308-B901-B04323A280B2.jpeg

Beer can for size reference :D

-Joshuro

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep it in the shade for a week, then give it sun. Watch for signs of new foliar growth, which will be a good sign of recovery. The tree should be all right. Do seal that trunk chop.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I sealed the trunk chop and all of the branch cuts with cut paste. Thanks for the advice regarding the shade. After 1 week should I leave it in direct sun all day?
It depends on how much sun you're getting. Morning sun, afternoon shade is best. I wouldn't give it total direct sun all day long, even after it's recovered. As I understand the LA area, temps in the sun can get pretty high.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I sealed the trunk chop and all of the branch cuts with cut paste. Thanks for the advice regarding the shade. After 1 week should I leave it in direct sun all day?
I can see the tree is already pushing out the new leaves then you did repot with pruning a lot of root! It is too dangerous to do that for the Montezuma cypress! By the way, I love Montezuma cypress when the new leaves are coming out. It is so beautiful if you look at it with the light source in the back or in the side !

If I were you, I would give it plenty of humidity at this time to help the tree from excessive assault! I would cover the whole tree and pot with the clear plastic bag after watering it copiously) and place it in the shade area . I would remove the bag when the young shoots are long about 10 cm, then I would move it to the site with morning sun few hours. When it gets stronger, then you can move it to the site with more sunlight
Good luck to you
Thụ Thoại

Joshuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I can see the tree is already pushing out the new leaves then you did repot with pruning a lot of root! It is too dangerous to do that for the Montezuma cypress!

Did I choose the wrong time to prune the branches and roots? Or is it generally a mistake to prune both at the same time with this species?

Also, regarding the humidity tent, if I use a clear plastic bag as you’ve suggested should I be concerned that the tree will be in the shade and bag at the same time and will not be able to effectively receive indirect sunlight?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did I choose the wrong time to prune the branches and roots? Or is it generally a mistake to prune both at the same time with this species?

Also, regarding the humidity tent, if I use a clear plastic bag as you’ve suggested should I be concerned that the tree will be in the shade and bag at the same time and will not be able to effectively receive indirect sunlight?
With Montezuma cypress and many other broadleaf trees, one should not transplant with root cutting when the trees are getting the new leaves. The reason is that the nutrients and water are moving from the roots to the young shoots at that time. When we prune the roots, we cut off the water and nutrient supply to the young shoots. The young leaves are very sensitive to the dehydration due to lack of cutine. They will easily die from dehydration . The whole tree will be shut down! This is why we have to supply optimal humidity to the tree at this critical time to reduce the loss of water through transpiration. At this time, the tree can not use the sunlight for photosynthesis because it does not have enough water to process in photosynthesis. Besides the stoma is closed off at this time to protect the tree from dehydration, the photosynthesis will not happen. It means no sunlight needed at this time !
Thụ Thoại

Joshuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
With Montezuma cypress and many other broadleaf trees, one should not transplant with root cutting when the trees are getting the new leaves...
Thank you for the explanation Bonhe. That is the kind of information I need.

Damart81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did this tree ever survive? Did something similar thinking it could be done like a bald cypress

Top Bottom