Montezuma Cypress- Tripple Trunk Trouble

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi all!
I'm hoping to get some feedback from some folks here in the Nut House who have experience working with either MC or BC.
Below is the tree in question.
Pic is from last spring.
IMG_6105.jpeg
This tree was picked up two years ago and I have finally decided to start working on it. Some of you may remember this was part of the nursery grouping of MC that Randy and I picked up locally. Nothing was done with this tree the first year other than chopping and bring home. Last year I pulled it out of its nursery pot and removed about 90% of its root mass. She was a bit slow popping back so I left her alone last season. This year there has been a ton of new growth with this tree and I'm excited to start working on her.
I typically have enough trouble trying to design one tree but with three trunks it has proven to be three times as challenging.

I pulled the image below as reference because I really liked the composition...however I am hoping to end up with something taller with my tree.
Bald Cypress Bonsai Tree.jpeg

Currently the tree stands just under 5 1/2 feet from the substrate to the top of the skinner right trunk. YEP... huge.
Below is a sketch that I have been working on for what I am envisioning the tree to look like. Not really looking to take this down in size very much. (Mistake?)
Wanting to do some carving on the left trunk as well as the center trunk.
The top few inches on the center trunk is dead wood... this may be nice to incorporate into the composition and help balance the tree by creating a focal point towards the center since the final idea is to have the larger skinner trunk on the right be the tallest element in the form of a flattop.

Bonsai 3 Trunk Sketch copy.jpg.

Below is a pic after a bit of thinning out yesterday... still lots to do but didn't want to remove something I may regret later.
Would love to get feedback on composition as well as hight.
I really see something in this tree but think I need directional help as I'm second guessing the hell out of the design.
Thanks all in advance!!!
Hope you all are having a great growing season so far!

IMG_8206.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi all!
I'm hoping to get some feedback from some folks here in the Nut House who have experience working with either MC or BC.
Below is the tree in question.
Pic is from last spring.
View attachment 430873
This tree was picked up two years ago and I have finally decided to start working on it. Some of you may remember this was part of the nursery grouping of MC that Randy and I picked up locally. Nothing was done with this tree the first year other than chopping and bring home. Last year I pulled it out of its nursery pot and removed about 90% of its root mass. She was a bit slow popping back so I left her alone last season. This year there has been a ton of new growth with this tree and I'm excited to start working on her.
I typically have enough trouble trying to design one tree but with three trunks it has proven to be three times as challenging.

I pulled the image below as reference because I really liked the composition...however I am hoping to end up with something taller with my tree.
View attachment 430872

Currently the tree stands just under 5 1/2 feet from the substrate to the top of the skinner right trunk. YEP... huge.
Below is a sketch that I have been working on for what I am envisioning the tree to look like. Not really looking to take this down in size very much. (Mistake?)
Wanting to do some carving on the left trunk as well as the center trunk.
The top few inches on the center trunk is dead wood... this may be nice to incorporate into the composition and help balance the tree by creating a focal point towards the center since the final idea is to have the larger skinner trunk on the right be the tallest element in the form of a flattop.

View attachment 430878.

Below is a pic after a bit of thinning out yesterday... still lots to do but didn't want to remove something I may regret later.
Would love to get feedback on composition as well as hight.
I really see something in this tree but think I need directional help as I'm second guessing the hell out of the design.
Thanks all in advance!!!
Hope you all are having a great growing season so far!

View attachment 430879
I like your design.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
If looses all the leaves in autumn probably Bald, Mucronatum usually keeps the leaves all winter and drop them in spring with the push of the new growth

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If looses all the leaves in autumn probably Bald, Mucronatum usually keeps the leaves all winter and drop them in spring with the push of the new growth
Definitely Taxodium Mucronatum.... I have10 growing currently. They are simi-deciduous... each of my trees goes red in winter then drops its leaves till February.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Definitely Taxodium Mucronatum.... I have10 growing currently. They are simi-deciduous... each of my trees goes red in winter then drops its leaves till February.
I just have one. Mine drop leaves in winter and come back in March.
However, in much warmer climate, it doesn’t drop leaves until being replaced in the spring.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Well... I went ahead and started working on the tree.
Lots to do still but happy with the carving and branch selection so far.
That 3rd trunk to the right might look better on paper but for the moment I will leave and see how things progress.

IMG_8243.jpeg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good carving job. Too often they come out looking artificial and contrived. I need to start carving my big bald cypress, but am waiting for it to recover from repotting this spring. I don’t want to put it off another year but it will depend p how strongly it bounces back.what toolsmdid younise for carving? I picked up a nibbler from the UK and also got a Ryobi electric wood carver off eBay. I also have my trusty Dremel too for the fine details.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
what toolsmdid younise for carving?
Thank you!
-circular chainsaw disk for grinder
-die grinder with course Kutzall burs
-Demmel
-Pliers
-Old concave cutters.