Montpellier Maple

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
I was after some advice on a Montpellier Maple which I know isn't a species used a lot for Bonsai so I've struggled to find info about the species.
I know that the wood is very hard, and it seems to be fairly vigorous and has grown with long internotes.
I've seen some beautiful trees by @Walter Pall of this species.

Looking at the bark im not sure how well it will backbud to help me regrow branches to improve the structure.

Tree is below, any thoughts or tips? I've pruned off some of the clear defects and im planning on removing the two branches with red tags.

let me know thoughts, advice etc.
thanks

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The primary thing I recommend is Walter's hedge pruning methodology - let it grow, cut back when shoots & leaves have hardened (circa May).

Also, there are always possibilities of grafting to put a branch where you need it and cannot get a bud.

I'm not familiar with acer monspessulanum, but if it is anything like other maples, it will push some long shoots that possibly can be bent around and then threaded through a hole to affect a thread graft. Barring that, you can likely root cuttings; then you do likewise to make a thread graft, also securing the cutting's pot to the three --> so when you prune, strike those cuttings!

There is also the possibility of free scion grafting which can be done in summer. There is the standard vernier or side graft method as well as making a T cut in the bark, lifting it and placing the scion beneath as done in bud grafting.

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
thanks @0soyoung, i hadnt considered hedge pruning method.
I might watch it grow out next year and see if i can encourage any budding before i remove any branches. I'm not a fan of the branch structure at the moment or not long internodes but this may just be more typical for this species. The branches have remained rock solid all year so bending for thread grafting may be a bit more challenging.

When you say "Barring that, you can likely root cuttings; then you do likewise to make a thread graft," Do you mean using donor material but keeping it rooted on its own while the thread graft takes?

Im tempted to try some small air layering on the branches i dont like to try and get a bit of donor material away from the tree, then I can try some of the methods you have suggested. The nebari on the other side of the tree is pretty much non-existent so i'll need to do some grafting work on this at some point anyway.

This is the tree when it was in leaf, ive removed a few obvious defect branches since this picture.
20190817_142741.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had one for 7 or 8 years? They are very very slow. They do not heal especially well or fast, and as you can see all growth is very straight, and the wood is so hard you must wire very early on new growth. I was able to get some backbudding on mine with hard pruning, even some on old wood. I think these fare better in warmer longer season climates than mine.

Top Bottom