More about dogwoods

Greastart

Sapling
Reaction score
IMG_2488.jpg IMG_2493.jpg Greetings All,

Please enlighten me about these strange Kousa Dogwood berry clusters. Most that have come off the tree I'm trying to air layer have appeared normal. A few, like this, appear to be sprouting leaves and or shoots of some sort. First year I've noticed them.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with bonsai but you all seem to be a knowledgeable group and so far have been more than willing to offer help.

Grease

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kinda looks like cedar rust in a Hawthorne fruit.

Sorce

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, disease or fungus...

Did you know those berries are edible? Maybe not that weird one though...

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's like the seeds germinated right there on the plant, that's really weird... I wonder if there was some sort of pest that burrowed in the fruit which caused this abnormal growth?

Kousa's are supposed to more disease resistant than other dogwoods so it probably isn't the usual stuff like Dogwood Anthracnose. I'm not ruling out a type of gall. How long ago were those pictures taken?

Greastart

Sapling
Reaction score
It's like the seeds germinated right there on the plant, that's really weird... I wonder if there was some sort of pest that burrowed in the fruit which caused this abnormal growth?

Kousa's are supposed to more disease resistant than other dogwoods so it probably isn't the usual stuff like Dogwood Anthracnose. I'm not ruling out a type of gall. How long ago were those pictures taken?

cbroad, Pics were taken three days ago. I was thinking along the lines of seeds germinating too but not so sure. I'll pick one of the wierdlings this weekend and open it up. Then I'll take more pics of what I find. There were only three or four of those on the entire tree out of close to 100 berry clusters.

Top Bottom