Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Picked up
2x Nuccio wild cherry (1gal)
1x flame creeper (1gal)
1x wakaebisu (1 gal)
1x fashion (3 gal)

Gallons were a whole $5/pop, 3 gallons were $9.

Yeehaw!

The nuccios had bigger leaves than i expected, only got bc I've seen them mentioned here so often. Will keep em alive till spring work. The flame creeper will probably have to be a shohin, it stays sooooo small.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Pics

Attachments

• 20220612_174527.jpg
    20220612_174527.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220612_174537.jpg
    20220612_174537.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220612_174540.jpg
    20220612_174540.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220612_174551.jpg
    20220612_174551.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 52

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good purchase! That will get you in the zone.

You might consider ay least some pruning now so when you do the repotting in spring at least these tasks will. be spaced out.

I’m unfamiliar with Fashion, but it’s a Glen Dale Hybrid, and it’s cold hardy to zone 6 in the ground, perhaps 7b/8a in a pot?

Also it seems Flame Creeper, a dwarfish azalea is rated zone 6b in the ground.

Good luck!

Cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd dig way below the soil surface in hopes of lots more wood and great roots under there. Oh, and watch the great azalea videos on the YouTube channel of John Geanangel.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Good purchase! That will get you in the zone.

You might consider ay least some pruning now so when you do the repotting in spring at least these tasks will. be spaced out.

I’m unfamiliar with Fashion, but it’s a Glen Dale Hybrid, and it’s cold hardy to zone 6 in the ground, perhaps 7b/8a in a pot?

Also it seems Flame Creeper, a dwarfish azalea is rated zone 6b in the ground.

Good luck!

Cheers
DSD sends

I was looking forward to your post!

The fashion has small leaves, they ring the stem very closely, so it looks like 4 leaves are coming out from the same height. I also got it because it has a monster trunk (comparatively of course) with movement, that I believe I can make into a credible specimen in 5 years. We shall see but for $9 I mean come on! I already set a flat of cuttings for my indoor lamps, I've yet to be successful with azalea cuttings but I know it can be done so I'll try and tweak until i succeed.

As for pruning, my though process is to thin our like typically done post flowering, two shoots, cut down to 2 or 4 leaves, removed original rosette of leaves and leaves on stem. Even though I'll cut almost all existing branches on these, it may generate some keeper branches and backbudding until I do so. I'll do the roots on all of these in spring.

I'm struggling on the substrate question. As it stands today, I can water once a day. I could set up a system to water twice a day like I did for my regular plants, but don't really want to. Today was 100, feels like 110+. With a 100% kanuma or even 90/10 mix, am I asking for trouble with the intense summers? Is it really any different (water retention wise) than boon mix or the turface/lava/pumice mix I have a couple in? I know the acidity benefits, my concern is the trees drying out, especially after root washing the peat/bark mix they are in.

Attachments

• 20220612_200740.jpg
    20220612_200740.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 41

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good to hear. I looked both up and they seem really good choices for learning.

My advice on store bought azaleas purchased this time of the year is…..The sooner you can find a design line in these trees and prune to this, leaving as much green as possible, the stronger it will respond and the sooner you will get your trees to a state you can work on.

There are many different substrates out there that work with azaleas… some better, some not. I did a survey on site a couple years ago, most folks used Kanuma in some amount, all I asked said theirs worked best. But the key elements in a substrate for azalea don’t change and are what’s most important: acidic, free flowing media, high CEC and correct particle size for good root growth. I use Kanuma as it fits these criteria and is extraordinarily hard to overwater. Considering the deluges we’ve had up here this spring, I’m glad my azaleas are in kanuma.

If I was choosing a substrate in your neck of the woods, I wouldn’t use 90/10 Kanuma/pumice. I might use something like a 70/30 80/20 Kanuma/Sphagnum blend. Some folks would toss in some sifted small bark.

I use Boon mixes with extra charcoal for most of the rest of my trees. It dries out a bit faster under normal conditions up here.

Sadly bonsai media watering times don’t fit a schedule. It seems to me no good bonsai media is going to fit your criteria. Perhaps you might be best off. devising ways to help modify the micro environment your azaleas are in. For example limit sun, rig shade cloth, create a wetted pea gravel sink under the bench, timed misters etc

Good start on your cuttings! A couple hints.

- Take cuttings in the early morning and put in cold water as you cut each.
- Before striking leave only 3 leaves on each cutting. Use rooting powder or not.
- Best substrate to date is clean seedling soil mixed with 20% more perlite.
- Have well wetted before striking.
- use a humidity dome

2DAABCB6-2A22-4401-8C9D-1B994FC952D0.jpeg

- heat mat 72ish
- spray 2-3x day I use 1 TBSP 3% H2O2 in QT water. After 4 weeks add 1/2 tsp Miracid to spray water
- Safer soap asap if fungus gnats appear
- use double slotted seedling trays to facilitate drainage

cheers
DSD sends

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Fantastic and appreciated post, I'll definitely have more to cover this evening, I'm on the road all day today. As suspected, I'm on the right track with the cuttings, just need to put more effort in 😅😅

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Picked up
2x Nuccio wild cherry (1gal)
1x flame creeper (1gal)
1x wakaebisu (1 gal)
1x fashion (3 gal)

Gallons were a whole $5/pop, 3 gallons were $9.

Yeehaw!

The nuccios had bigger leaves than i expected, only got bc I've seen them mentioned here so often. Will keep em alive till spring work. The flame creeper will probably have to be a shohin, it stays sooooo small.
Crap! I never see deals like that.
Truly, I am happy for you.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Crap! I never see deals like that.
Truly, I am happy for you.
Home Depot started their sales on azaleas right after the blooms dropped. I recently bought a 3gal 'Tradition' for like $7. While I'm not focusing on kurumes, this cultivar has very nice small HIH pink flowers and it's hardy to zone 6b.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kurume azaleas have a lot going for them, especially as bonsai. Compact growth, small leaves and flowers, cold hardy, disease resistance, and so forth. Tradition was commonplace 50 years ago and I often did not plant it in my landscape business because it was "Too" common. Of course when you work with plants 50 years things come full circle.
This is in no way a slight on Satsuki azaleas as they are my favorite group. Even non bonsai folk have a love for things Japanesque. But having said that, their are oodles of other hybrids that are frequently overlooked by Satsuki lovers.

Top Bottom