More foliage = more root growth or??

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please.....

Point us to the study of these hormones with annual root and shoot pruning for a shape desired by man.

Until it is found, I will rely on my observational skills.

This is a Bonsai Forum!😋

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

On topic:

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Wires_Guy_wires

Another recommendation to add to that list, and my favorite search engine for scientific literature, even more so when you don't have a Uni account (anymore):

https://scholar.google.com/

Great thing is Google automatically searches for free PDF acces to the papers. 5-10 years ago you needed an account for pretty much every single paper you wanted to read, but the scientific world set out to become more accessible which is starting to show some results.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Wires_Guy_wires

Another recommendation to add to that list, and my favorite search engine for scientific literature, even more so when you don't have a Uni account (anymore):

https://scholar.google.com/

Great thing is Google automatically searches for free PDF acces to the papers. 5-10 years ago you needed an account for pretty much every single paper you wanted to read, but the scientific world set out to become more accessible which is starting to show some results.
I'm getting back in academics as a research technician next month! But I've been using those sketchy sci-hub websites because they literally unlock everything full text, even if it wasn't free to begin with.

I used scholar for the results I posted ;-)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm getting back in academics as a research technician next month! But I've been using those sketchy sci-hub websites because they literally unlock everything full text, even if it wasn't free to begin with.
Guess how much we're paying to get this stuff open to everybody..
But we are not at about 2500 journals in our field that publish in an open format. Jay to research reform

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next time, shoot me a PM ;-)
Biological crosstalk is vague because most people don't know half of the terms of a sentence. And that's perfectly normal if you haven't studied biology or biochemistry.

In short, plant cross talk is used to define interactions between hormones. For example: one tells them to grow long, the other tells them to grow wide. In a perfect system this would create a bush, with bushy branches and bushy roots. But because one hormone is sometimes more present than the other, we get different kinds of growths. Like balancing a scale blindfolded, there's always one side leaning a lil further down than the other (and this is where cross talk falls short to explain the tilt, because hormones travel in minutes and plant responses take weeks). The long held idea was that the growing tip of a shoot produced auxin, a hormone that also fuels root production and shoot elongation. Its counter hormone is cytokinin, a hormone that's essential for branching and 'going horizontal', mainly originating from the root system. One counters the other and vice versa.
These hormones were thought to be produced on opposite ends of the plant, and travel against the flow of the sap (sometimes). But more recent studies have found that they're also produced on the spot, work with or against another on the spot, and don't always require miles of vascular transportation.
This means that the idea of "shoots talking to roots and roots talking to shoots" isn't as solid as we thought it was. In the bonsai world though, it takes a couple decades for people to adjust their theories because they're based on hearsay and sometimes myths.
It does mean that you'll steal the show if you say stuff like "well, yeah this branch didn't grow because of the cross talk, ya know."

I can go over the details for hours, but this should broadly cover it.

There is a pdf circulating on the internet that contains an older version of Plant Physiology by Taiz et all. It's on some US university website somewhere. If you google for "plant physiology taiz .pdf" you should be able to find it. It is outdated, but it's free and contains basically everything plant physiology related known to science at that time. It starts off with some heavy DNA and protein stuff, but to me that seems like a solid introduction of what follows.
Thanks fascinating subject . I have much more experience with the electrical version Very interesting . At the molecular level . What’s going on biological inside the plant and maybe how we can use it to our advantage . The how is always interesting . But the why is much more . Will look at some of the info . Thank you

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep…All good advice. I use both google scholar and https://sci-hub.ru/ amongst others.

There are a lot of ways to get to recent information of various scientific studies.

Local bioregulation has been a key topic for certain researchers for quite awhile…. at least 8 years, likely more. It is amazing bonsai professionals lean on the PAT for all their explanations…. Yet in retrospect, perhaps it’s an effort not to geek out and discourage the users of their media.

Anyways, the way I find to do citizen science research on what some might term as esoteric topics is to follow my nose… don’t be discouraged with the lingo. Then look for the latest review article on the topic. Here’s a good article on local bio regulation… to give folks a taste. If one likes it one can follow the research cites for more…looking for the most recent review on the topic.

Here’s a decent ‘starter’ article on the topic… if you like it, follow your nose!

https://www.cell.com/developmental-cell/pdfExtended/S1534-5807(18)30782-2

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom