More new pots

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Two more pots out of the kiln. This one is an accent pot modeled after a Japanese roof tile. I saw one of these somewhere but couldn’t afford it. It was a lot cheaper to make one.

8408D37A-A66A-4560-B6B4-3F0D9A0EBAB7.jpegA43F143A-7D82-4EFA-BBAC-2B509F2255C2.jpeg17C0607A-3CB4-411A-A390-0DA3C8C22FF5.jpegD26F77C6-1C65-40D2-8CD0-0A19F427C153.jpeg

And the second one was a total throwaway. I had a ball of clay that I wanted to use up, and kind of just tossed this one together fast. The surface was boring so jabbed at it with a wooden spatula to make it a little more interesting. The glaze surpassed my expectations and now I really like it. Reminds me of one of those bamboo and thatch fences you find in Japanese gardens.
9CE76412-B085-4E59-8430-1CE6939EB73E.jpeg4D5E77B1-A7EA-4929-AF8B-A1039CAC4BDA.jpeg

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow yea, that second one totally reminds me of like a field of golden grass, very cool.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice pots! Have been taking a break from the pottery. Starting a new wheel class next week. Just want to be proficient creating pots on the wheel.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Nice pots! Have been taking a break from the pottery. Starting a new wheel class next week. Just want to be proficient creating pots on the wheel.
Me too. Basically so I can replace one particular cascade pot I lost to the wind.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce , @Gsquared , @AZbonsai ,

Just to be wicked. Sorce, how it is done down here , but rotate
rapidly and tool.
Plus remember the serrated knife.. Placed on the out side
evens out the shape.

Will leave a home-made example later - a challenge Sorce.
Good Day
Anthony

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
@sorce , @Gsquared , @AZbonsai ,

Just to be wicked. Sorce, how it is done down here , but rotate
rapidly and tool.
Plus remember the serrated knife.. Placed on the out side
evens out the shape.

Will leave a home-made example later - a challenge Sorce.
Good Day
Anthony

Oh good, I’ve been hoping you’d post some of your pots! Looking forward to it.

sheltone

Seedling
Reaction score
Cool pots! Love the pattern on the first. Curious as to what you are envisioning for it. The second one is really gorgeous.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Cool pots! Love the pattern on the first. Curious as to what you are envisioning for it. The second one is really gorgeous.
Thanks. The “roof tile” pot will have some kind of accent plant. I’ve seen the lily of the valley planting in Murata book and may try something like that. There was a nice kusamono at the Portland show this weekend. It was planted in a green roof tile pot. Gorgeous.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Frankly I like the first pot most

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Nice work, guys! I'm wondering where all of you get access to a kiln?
I live in Vancouver, WA and drive over to the Arts Center in Portland. They offer classes at all levels, wheel, hand building etc. you have to buy clay, about .50 a lb. All glazes, equipment and firings are included in the price of the class. It’s a schelp so I’m looking for someplace closer, or even getting my own kiln if I get serious about it. So I’d advise checking arts centers, community colleges and adult education courses. I basically I use the classes as studio time. Most instructors are glad to have some students go independent study on them. If you plan out what you want to make and do some work at home too, you really can get a lot of pots made.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work, guys! I'm wondering where all of you get access to a kiln?
Same deal. Our local arts center. I went to a show one night and discovered the educational side of the arts center. It is fantastic! I pay $168 bucks for an 8 week 3 hour a night class. Included in the deal is an additional 3 hrs of open studio time per week. It is a great deal.

Top Bottom