More than size

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When working with small bonsai is size the only consideration for classification? Are shohin simply smaller trees; or, is the design process different than a larger bonsai?

I was thinking that a short story is different than a short novel, its context is differnt. There is usually one main plot with few or no subplots. Is the same true with a shohin. Does it express one design idea? Or is a tree is a tree is a tree?

What are your thoughts?

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I am under the understanding that shohin only describes the size of the tree. mame is considered to be 7cm or less. Shohin is up to 20cm. Kifu is 20-40cm, chu is 40-60cm, and dai is over 60cm. Each one is a little different from who you might talk to. This is one classification. Good luck.

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Usually shohin just refers to the size. I like to think of it as bonsai that can be held with one hand.

Shohin Kid

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something that comes to mind is that the "rules" are little bit different for styling shohin size bonsai. For example, normally with larger trees you would not want multiple branches coming from one point on the tree. I see this mainly on Deciduous shohin. This seems to be acceptable because there is a limited amount of trunk length to work with. Also it seems that branches emerging on the inside of a curve are more accepted again because of size limitations. These are both rules that are not "allowed" to be broken with larger trees but seem to welcomed when styling shohin. I tried to find pictures to show what I mean, but couldn't find any in the five minutes I spent searching.

Top Bottom