Morphs I have known..... hybrids in nature

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For years collecting samples of the conifers of the Pacific Northwest in the Cascades for science students, we always ended running into morphs, or hybrids. One case of two species seemingly hybridizing frequently was of two fir trees, Silver Fir and Noble Fir. We never ran DNA into the woods, yet we’d find trees a looking little like both, but not either. Students need a clear cut example, so we didn't sample any of these.

Just for fun last winter I ordered 12 Autumn Blaze Maple seedlings from Sault St Marie, MI area to see if we could make a good forest out of these. 11 are clearly Autumn Blaze, 1 struggled for a bit this spring, then budded out a bumper crop of really interesting leaves. I think might be morph. If someone knows better, please let me know. Here’s photos of each.

Otherwise do any other folks have photos of examples of morphs?

cheers
DSD sends
EE99B170-6851-4CAB-941B-9F5D9A7DC320.jpeg
D1BBEACC-141E-4157-8114-EE770252C146.jpeg
99E55621-B3E1-40D3-8F81-10C213425DC3.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s what I’m wondering too. I thought they were just juvenile leaves, as the others had 2-3 that weren’t fully formed. Yet each new pair looks the same so far.
Happy Friday!
DSD sends

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Posting to be kept informed.. as I am interested. 🤣

The title reminds me of two books by Chemist Alexander “Sasha” Shulgin..

PIKHAL and TIHKAL

(Phenethylamines I have known and loved)

(Tryptamines I have known and loved)

;)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am stickler for terminology so I apologize, but I would advise using the term "variety" instead of "morph." If your new leaf type is stable you can name it as a cultivar, which is a cultivated variety.
Hehe!

If I was a cultivar....

I believe “Morph” would be an offensive slur.

🤣🤣🤣

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Posting to be kept informed.. as I am interested. 🤣

The title reminds me of two books by Chemist Alexander “Sasha” Shulgin..

PIKHAL and TIHKAL

(Phenethylamines I have known and loved)

(Tryptamines I have known and loved)

;)
Not too many folks can get through those books although a lot of people reference them. 😉

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not too many folks can get through those books although a lot of people reference them. 😉
It’s tough.. also because he and his wife “experience” those chemicals differently than I... Sasha said he relies heavily on the tactile... while my experiences almost always manifest (predominantly) visual..

It was interesting to read some of the ONLY audible-affecting phenethylamines...

Yes.. I used it mainly for reference..

The “creation” details made complete sense to me... I just lacked materials and proper equipment at that time..

That’s probably for the best. 😬

🤣🤣

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm no expert, but I'd bet your deviant Maples are sterile, or at least not self-fertile. Have fun with them, but don't expect them to procreate. If you had two, that would be a horse of a different color...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Following up on an older thread

Two years later ….

They Autumn Blaze mutant continues to push.
(can’t be a cultivar per @NaoTK as the leaf shape is not stable)

The mutant’s roots were worked and the tree was put in a box this year. Got just a tad fired last week

IMG_9902.jpeg
IMG_9910.jpeg

The lead types continue to vary widely
IMG_9911.jpeg
IMG_9912.jpeg

Will cut it back at some point in the future. Likely sooner then later

Cheers
DSD sends

Attachments

• IMG_9903.jpeg
    IMG_9903.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
For years collecting samples of the conifers of the Pacific Northwest in the Cascades for science students, we always ended running into morphs, or hybrids. One case of two species seemingly hybridizing frequently was of two fir trees, Silver Fir and Noble Fir. We never ran DNA into the woods, yet we’d find trees a looking little like both, but not either. Students need a clear cut example, so we didn't sample any of these.

Just for fun last winter I ordered 12 Autumn Blaze Maple seedlings from Sault St Marie, MI area to see if we could make a good forest out of these. 11 are clearly Autumn Blaze, 1 struggled for a bit this spring, then budded out a bumper crop of really interesting leaves. I think might be morph. If someone knows better, please let me know. Here’s photos of each.

Otherwise do any other folks have photos of examples of morphs?

cheers
DSD sends
View attachment 319778
View attachment 319779
View attachment 319780
Brent from Evergreen sells Prunus mume x which is a hybrid resulting from open air pollination between a 'WB Clarke' and what he presumes is Prunus americana. It seems to be more akin to its americana lineage, but the hybridization appears to have given it some notable benefits as a tradeoff. I'm not holding my breath, but im curious to see how this variety pans out for bonsai.

20230726_183147.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brent from Evergreen sells Prunus mume x which is a hybrid resulting from open air pollination between a 'WB Clarke' and what he presumes is Prunus americana. It seems to be more akin to its americana lineage. I'm not holding my breath, but im curious to see how this variety pans out for bonsai.

View attachment 508374

Nice! Looks like great information to start a thread about to.

Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For only $30, Utah State will do a DNA test. It's how I solved my hybrid elm mystery that I puzzled over for years.

(Spoiler alert: it was a European white elm (Ulmus laevis) somehow growing in Kansas).

That would be awesome… do you still have the contact information? If so can you please PM me?

Yet It’s almost like @Wires_Guy_wires mentioned earlier, it seems despite the heritage, it seems at least the leaf shape genetic information isn’t being expressed properly.

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom