Mosquito are the Devil!

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From a hobbyist to another, how do you deal with these damned "suckers?!" I was outside literally for 3 minutes and got bit 4 or 5 times. The best thing I've used so far is OFF! but even that doesn't work all the time! All I do now is just run outside, water and back in doors. I can't enjoy my trees...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I work outside every day. By now I don't even really notice anymore. Mosquitoes are the least of my worries when I'm walking around tickville.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Your question reminds me of the way most medical issues are dealt with, treat symptoms not
cause.
Standing water is your problem as that's where those little rascals are bred and raised. some
actions that can be taken is to treat the water with a product that seals surface to them so they cannot breath at the surface. More eco friendly are mosquito fish which happily lunch on them.

Thinking you need to build you a workplace screened off area you can bring your trees into
to enjoy and work on.

wishing you better luck with those disease carrying rascals....

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From a hobbyist to another, how do you deal with these damned "suckers?!" I was outside literally for 3 minutes and got bit 4 or 5 times. The best thing I've used so far is OFF! but even that doesn't work all the time! All I do now is just run outside, water and back in doors. I can't enjoy my trees...

Hah! If I go out in shorts, I will be bit that much (or more) in the first 15 seconds and increasing there after. :mad:

I usually go now after work...still in pants and shoes so my exposed body parts are my hands and head. I use a 40% DEET spray and they stay away from me (from Walmart). IF NOT, I will be peppered with bites before I am done watering and will be itching the whole night and the following day.

http://www.amazon.com/Repel-94101-S...f=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1405692600

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your question reminds me of the way most medical issues are dealt with, treat symptoms not
cause.
Standing water is your problem as that's where those little rascals are bred and raised. some
actions that can be taken is to treat the water with a product that seals surface to them so they cannot breath at the surface. More eco friendly are mosquito fish which happily lunch on them.
I set up breeding traps with this.
http://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Dunk...2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1405692797&sr=1-2

But with rains, there are just too many places they can breed around me (storm water detention ponds).

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see that you're also in Virginia. Do you have the Asian Tiger mosquitos? Those bastards come out during the daylight, tend to fly low to the ground, and are very aggressive. They also can spawn in as little as a bottle cap of water.:mad: This year I haven't really seen too many, at least compared to prior years. Maybe the really cold winter that we had this year wiped out most of the population.

I use Deep Woods Off, and started wearing pants when I go outside in the evenings.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I haven't been completely honest...Even though I said I use OFF! I don't because I'm allergic to it. My legs and arms get warm and to the point where they go numb...So I basically go outside "commando style", if you will, without bug repellent.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I haven't been completely honest...Even though I said I use OFF! I don't because I'm allergic to it. My legs and arms get warm and to the point where they go numb...So I basically go outside "commando style", if you will, without bug repellent.

Then you should look at my post. Allethrin is the active ingredient.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I see that you're also in Virginia. Do you have the Asian Tiger mosquitos? Those bastards come out during the daylight, tend to fly low to the ground, and are very aggressive. They also can spawn in as little as a bottle cap of water.:mad: This year I haven't really seen too many, at least compared to prior years. Maybe the really cold winter that we had this year wiped out most of the population.

I use Deep Woods Off, and started wearing pants when I go outside in the evenings.

That's because they are all down in N GA:mad:...I get an aerobic work out swatting the SOBs, even at mid day.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
cause.

BTW, this reminds me of my all time favorite commercial by Bisolvon.

Actor said the exact thing while holding a leaky hose and desperately blocking all the water coming from various places...then he turned off the spigot as he said "...the cause". I am amazed I can still remember it 40 years later--must be a very good commercial. :)

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even worse right now around here are the Deer Flies. I must have killed 20 or on my walk with my dog yesterday and deet doesn't seem to bother them at all

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Speaking of mosquito traps, do they really work? I have tried using the yeast and soda bottle method. But found I caught more than just mosquitos. In the bottle I found that I had trapped bees, wasps, and ants. Not many mosquitos unfortunately...

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Even worse right now around here are the Deer Flies. I must have killed 20 or on my walk with my dog yesterday and deet doesn't seem to bother them at all

I'm a runner and deal with these liitle monsters every summer. Mile after mile of deer flies circling your head, landing, biting and just generally annoying the holy living crap out of you. Cant really use a spray because the sweat just makes it run off into your eyes, mouth etc. And it doesnt really work anyway. I read on some running website that they dont like dryer sheets, so I've taken to wearing a breathable running hat with a Bounce dryer sheet pinned to the top. So far the results have been favorable. I look like a complete moron, I'm sure, but its probably better than running down the road waving my arms like a madman and being eaten alive. Give the dryer sheet a try for deer and horse flies.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm a runner and deal with these liitle monsters every summer. Mile after mile of deer flies circling your head, landing, biting and just generally annoying the holy living crap out of you. Cant really use a spray because the sweat just makes it run off into your eyes, mouth etc. And it doesnt really work anyway. I read on some running website that they dont like dryer sheets, so I've taken to wearing a breathable running hat with a Bounce dryer sheet pinned to the top. So far the results have been favorable. I look like a complete moron, I'm sure, but its probably better than running down the road waving my arms like a madman and being eaten alive. Give the dryer sheet a try for deer and horse flies.

But who wants to smell like a girl? Ewwww ;)

Last edited:

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Deet is a potent neuro toxin. Please only use on clothing and do not have skin contact.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I feel for you guys. I only have to deal with mosquitos if I go hiking or camping... at home it's dryness and mites I got to deal with. At least they don't bite me!
Ian

Top Bottom