Mosquito dunks

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Last year I put mosquito dunks in a small area that collected water "not used to water my trees.) It definitely cut down on their population. This year I plan to use collected rain water to water my trees. Just installed a rain gutter on the cold house and I'm about to order barrels. Do any of you know if mosquito dunks would make the water toxic at all for plants? I'm thinking it would be fine as its a bacterial agent but I thought someone might have had experience. They contain BTI bacteria, bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis solids, spores, and insecticidal toxin at at 10.31% they say they're labeled for organic gardening so I think they should be safe. Anyone tried this?

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Beng,

I have used these for many years in the water tubs that I keep my wisteria bonsai in during the hot months without any problems.

However, I cannot vouch for any other species of plant at this time.

I would recommend that you do some testing before you commit to putting the treated water on any valuable plant material other than wisteria.

Cheers,
Paul

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It'll be fine. You probably could even drink it if you were thirsty enough.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Back when I first started, and used rain water, I just kept a few goldfish in the barrel to eat the mosquitos.
Mike

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It'll be fine. You probably could even drink it if you were thirsty enough.

The neighborhood cats drank out of the area that filled with water the dunks were in last year. The cats are still around. ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Only problem is if a goldfish is near the output hole of the barrel.

Not that I would go with the fish route but if you choose to...use a dome shaped screen near the output. ;)

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not that I would go with the fish route but if you choose to...use a dome shaped screen near the output. ;)

Good idea, free fertilizer. I think i'll just stick with the dunks though... less of a project. A long time ago I had goldfish in a huge pot in the backyard they grew awfully fast.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Beng

I'm using a combo of rain water and RO water. At least initially I think you should hold off on using anything. You want to make sure that your rain barrels are completely covered with a lid or some type of screen. This will keep the mosquito larva out of your water. You don't need anything more than that. You will likely have some green algae growing in your water, which I think if not allowed to get too crazy, should help to create a healthy environment in your barrels. While they might not harm your trees, I would rather not take the chance of using Mosquito dunks or fish and their waste. Just clean your barrels once or twice a year and use the water as needed when you have it and I think you should be good. You can see my set up on my blog if your interested.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks, how did you connect your barrels? I was thinking of buying the connectors to daisy chain them on amazon but at 35 bucks a piece they seem pricey. I'm sure I can build the connections and spout for the main barrel from something at home depot. It poured today and i filled up one whole 40 gallon barrel. We had a real problem here in brooklyn with mosquitoes last year... not sure I want to give them a head start this year. At least not in my yard. I supposed if I have everything nicely sealed off by then it won't be a problem. As it is now I take off the top of the barrel to fill it, and place it under the downspout. By spring I plan to have it go directly into a cut hole in the top of the barrel with no spillage. However I could see mosquitoes flying down the downspout to get into the barrel. They are the devils spawn. I saw your setup and it looks awesome.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the fittings I used with a rubber washer, PVC cement and flexible PVC pipe/tube. If you bring this picture to the hardware store they should be able to hook you up. These fittings were much less expensive-maybe like $12 for three sets.

photo8-1_zps00e574ea.jpg

I just rigged somethings together. Trash can lids with colonders with window screen to act as a filter.

photo35_zps1efe2eba.jpg

photo36_zpsa17a1a5f.jpg

Top Bottom