Moss collecting

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm also a moss collector but that looks like quite long, coarse moss. Not sure it will look great on a bonsai?? I prefer to take really low growing types, usually more exposed sidewalks, asphalt, carparks and street gutters.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agree with above^^^^
I have a lot of this is my 8 wooded acres, but it is too coarse for me. Even half a world away, I like that sidewalk moss the best.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These kinds of moss (hypnum) are the worst moss to use for bonsai. Too coarse and won't take on bonsai soil. You have several types there. They are all common in the woods near me too. I tried them over the years. Not much, or any, success. Almost inevitably, the clump you collect will dry up and curl as the weather heats up. You've got too much soil underneath them as well, and could introduce pests to your bonsai soil. Moss has no roots, so you can scrape as much of the soil off as possible.

As said, what you're after are the short fibered mosses --in particular, Bryum agenteum and Bryum caespiticium, that grow in very sunny, moist and well-drained locations. Sidewalks and paved spaces can be good places to find them. Bryum agenteum, or Silver moss, is excellent for bonsai use.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’ve used some of the taller woodland mosses as companion plantings with small flowers, and on a slab to give texture and color, or with rock plantings….
they may not be practical in a bonsai pot on bonsai soil, but they can definitely have a place on the bench.

Top Bottom