Moss harvest

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice! My yard moss pretty much all dried up this summer when our water usage was restricted.

It did just rain, so I'm hoping it makes a comeback soon.

Topdec

Yamadori
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it will survive left In the plastic tray if I keep it moist or should I put it onto some sort of natural substrate (rock/soil etc)?

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Does anyone know if it will survive left In the plastic tray if I keep it moist or should I put it onto some sort of natural substrate (rock/soil etc)?
I am no expert, but I did have some success by putting collected moss on top of some garden soil and keeping it moist. My success rate at this is 50%, but it can be done. I plan to collect as much as I can for use in future projects. I think I overwatered the tray of moss that died, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Topdec

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am no expert, but I did have some success by putting collected moss on top of some garden soil and keeping it moist. My success rate at this is 50%, but it can be done. I plan to collect as much as I can for use in future projects. I think I overwatered the tray of moss that died, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Thanks wulfskaar, I might try putting half on a thin layer of soil and leave half in the tray to hedge my bets. I live in the UK so keeping them moist shouldn't be a problem! 😂

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use a peat and bonsai soil mixture to keep my moss. And some mesh to cover the whole thing so that birds can't get to it.
I think I've heard moss growers - which are rare - say that they experimented with what type of nutrient moss likes best and it turns out that most mosses have a thing for cheap beer.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If your moss dried out, shred it en mix it with sphagnum 50/50. You'll have enough spores to let the moss grow

Topdec

Yamadori
Reaction score
I use a peat and bonsai soil mixture to keep my moss. And some mesh to cover the whole thing so that birds can't get to it.
I think I've heard moss growers - which are rare - say that they experimented with what type of nutrient moss likes best and it turns out that most mosses have a thing for cheap beer.
Thanks wires_guys_wires I wouldn't have thought about the mesh til it was too late!

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In an old gardening book I have it says to mix moss with beer in a bucket and pour where you want it to grow.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In an old gardening book I have it says to mix moss with beer in a bucket and pour where you want it to grow.
I've seen my mom do that with buttermilk but that didn't work. Yoghurt seemed to work better butI've heard beer was surpreme.

Top Bottom