Moss hunting (yamadori style)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Sakura-con at the convention center in seattle is shortly upon us. Our club keeps a booth there for both attacting new members and for entertainment purposes.( some of the outfits worn are quite, well interesting) :)
I always try to provide trees so I decided it was time to do a little moss hunting. Around here, because of the moisture, moss grows very well. Lots of different species. My favorite haunts are bridges and their cement bases. depending on the exposure, you can do very well finding lots of different kinds to mix into a varitable smorgesborg of ground coverings.
This morning as i was collecting under a foot bridge at a city park, I watched a set of shoes
stop right over top of me. I was just getting ready to clumb back out from underneath and didn't want to scare the begeebbors out of the person above. So I announced myself before climbing out. LOL. We had a great talk afterwards, guy from New orleans checking out the river as a possible place to go fishing.
today took only two bridges and i had more to select from then needed. I scraped the extra dirt off the roots and mixed pieces into the bonsai soil until covered. I did three trees and watered the new moss in pretty well. It usually adapts well to it's new location in about a week.
I thought about taking pictures of all the moss but thought, naugh....ain't gonna be that educational.
Where else in the world can you go out the door from home and in 3 minutes be hunting wild moss, free for the collecting. ( no permits needed, just prepare yourself for the looks when your explain what your doing). especially when they tell you to follow them home and get all the moss you need from their roof. :)

Top Bottom