Moss important idea to date!date!

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great picture Brian. I'll have to take a look at my Azalea and see if I can tell the difference.

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I was at a local bonsai club meeting the other day and someone told my I had "bad moss" on my tree. They said I should remove it and get some "Good moss", but they couldn't tell me the difference.

So, what's the difference?
"Bad moss" has an aggressive root system...but the roots run 3/4" deep...
View attachment 82918

A good way to know the difference between "good moss" and "bad moss" like the types in @Brian Van Fleet 's picture is by checking for roots. Mosses do not grow roots so if yours has root then it's not a moss at all. The "bad moss" above is some type of aggressive ground cover plant. They sell it in places like Lowes.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had that "bad moss" growing in my 2 now dead picea abies.

It looks cool. But I didn't think it was moss.

I'm moss binging right now.
I smell like buttermilk.

Sorce

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I had that "bad moss" growing in my 2 now dead picea abies.

It looks cool. But I didn't think it was moss.

I'm moss binging right now.
I smell like buttermilk.

Sorce

I'm not sure what the buttermilk is suppose to do for the moss but if you do use it your gonna have to be real careful and look out for mold. Your link even touches on buttermilk at the end.

That link was great by the way. Thank you. That information about the two types and their growth patterns is exactly the information I was missing. Now i know exactly what I'm doing wrong.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey remember this...?

I'm gonna take this poor little elm seedling home.20160809_091754.jpg

Hey @Adair M
Don't know if you seen the other pictures in the tea house...but look!

2 teslas !20160809_071756.jpg

( )!

That is a silent vroom!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep! Pretty quiet! And lots of pep! Men is kinda old. The new ones are scary quick!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
You are right about the bad ''Moss'' Its a real pest- every fragment seems to grow here- its actually not moss at all but Pearlwort ( Arenaria spp) a rampant ground hugging plant with tiny white flowers.
My Grandad from bonny Scotland used to store his worms in tubs of it for trout fishing!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Any thoughts on "over wintering" Moss?
I have some in a shallow "forest" type pot.
I was planning on just bringing this into my unheated garage, but would like to hear if anyone has any tips or recommendations.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
"Bad moss" has an aggressive root system. Around here, it's this stuff; some call it Irish Moss. Don't know what it is, but the roots run 3/4" deep, it is coarse, and difficult to get rid of.
"Good moss" stays on top of the soil and has effectively no root system. It's velvety and low-growing.
View attachment 82918
It's the silvery moss at the top of the blue circle that I look for but seldom find.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I feel for you folks on this subject....lucky for us, our temperate rain forest climate in the Pacific Northwest the favourable moss grows significantly. (We get about 60" a year).
From my yamadori collection I take the moss (which includes many different types) and add to my moss garden...a small shaded spot. This time of year it is removed from my pots (doesn't seem to mind my fertilizer regime) and added to the moss patch.
I do get the Irish moss and have to be diligent
Cheers G

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
over wintering"

Mine grew great under my tropical fluorescents.

You should be able to do anything with it, and it will come back in when conditions are favorable again.

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
??? This sounds ominous, I hope it's just a joke?

I see what you mean! I just meant at my age it would most likely be the last bike/ride I would consider purchasing ;)

Grimmy

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Always wanted a bike, bobber. Can't afford it though :(

This thread got me worried. Then I went outside to see if there's roots under the carpet and there ain't none luckily.

What's the lanky growth in the middle? Is it safe to keep? And are the greens ON the root OK, or should I gently brush it off?
67ca99f9-5624-41a6-a4cd-f0f57780a834_zpsyk6meuc3.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just pulled the moss off my Scots that I repotted this year. What a pain.
Some of the trees roots had grown into the moss. I carefully reburied the few that I had to get out of there and added more soil on top.
The desired effect happened, the tree grew lots of roots.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And are the greens ON the root OK, or should I gently brush it off?

Honest I would remove all the moss from the tree and roots. I never let it attach itself to a tree/plant as it tends to stain and/or damage it. After cleaning I would also suggest covering the roots for the winter with fresh substrate. ;)
Moss is for show and the tradition of using it at all dates way back in Japan where having "dirt" in your residence is unacceptable. When plants were brought in for the enjoyment/viewing of the owner or guests the soil was completely covered with moss while it was indoors...

Grimmy

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah thanks Grimmy!

Will clean that up today before it rains again. And add some orchid mix and potting soil on the top. I will keep the moss on a tray to see if I can grow them.

I really like the Moss in there but this tree need more function over form right now. Hopefully next spring transplant to the ground will make it happy.

Top Bottom