Moss important idea to date!date!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just pulled the moss off my Scots that I repotted this year. What a pain.
Some of the trees roots had grown into the moss. I carefully reburied the few that I had to get out of there and added more soil on top.
The desired effect happened, the tree grew lots of roots.

Why did you remove it?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I put it on when I repotted this spring because, in my experience, when my soil mix is new, it dries out very fast, which I don't want in the heat of summer, trying to grow new roots. A little extra moisture is ok so I put the moss on to help with that.

Fast forward to the end of September and October, it's much cooler and we are getting extended periods of rain and cloudy days. The soil stays wetter for longer and I dont want it too wet so I take the moss off.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Took Grimmi's advice and removed the moss and weeds. Was surprised by all these stuff on the surface after removing the screen.

The moss is pretty and soft. But it breaks up in clumps when I tried to take the whole thing at once.
moss_zpsxeu51eum.jpg

These little grass has about 1cm delicate root. It don't seem like they would hinder a tree's growth. Not sure if it's OK to add to a grow bed.
LittleGrass_zpsutrle89u.jpg

What are these? Look like something from a reef aquarium. Doesn't seem to have any roots. I slowly pulled it right out.
unknown_zpsjzsjwzow.jpg

All these went into those cheap rectangular plastic bonsai pot. I hope they grow!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These little grass has about 1cm roots and are delicate. It don't seem like they would hinder a tree's growth. Not sure if it's OK to add to a grow bed.

That stuff is bad....I think it's that Irish Car Bomb moss....

What are these? Look like something from a reef aquarium. Doesn't seem to have any roots. I slowly pulled it right out.

I been meaning to ask @M. Frary that...
Everything I have from Michigan has that stuff....the disc green cuppy things.

???

Sorce

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That stuff is bad....I think it's that Irish Car Bomb moss....

I been meaning to ask @M. Frary that...
Everything I have from Michigan has that stuff....the disc green cuppy things.

???

Sorce
SO that's what it was? lol. Those will not be included in the grow bed next spring!

Funny thing is that's the only one (disk/cup thing) growing at the base. Thought it might be some sort of tree Ebola. Was afraid to touch it!

Paging Doctor M. Frary...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that is liverwort. Usually see it in dark wet areas. Might be the same thing as slime mold?
CW
I think they may be the same? I was told the slime mould a long time ago but now you say wort it rings a bell.
I wouldn't want it on my trees.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What's the lanky growth in the middle? Is it safe to keep? And are the greens ON the root OK, or should I gently brush it off?
67ca99f9-5624-41a6-a4cd-f0f57780a834_zpsyk6meuc3.jpg

This is Irish moss. pull it out try to get the roots, this is the worst type of ground cover (it's not really moss) you'll have to watch for it's return and keep pulling it out.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think that is liverwort. Usually see it in dark wet areas. Might be the same thing as slime mold?
CW
Liverworts! I didn't think a mesh screen can shade that much. From my Google research, they are harmless as they have no roots to rob plants of nutrients and don't really do anything but look strange. It is off the tree now.

Yes JudyB, I followed Grimmi's advice and removed everything. The good moss too. Then added about 1.5" of orchid/potting soil, and another 1.5" of mulch on top.

The tree(s) will be barerooted next spring and put in a growing bed with all new soil. Hope to not have to fight these too much next year.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Irish moss (sangina) is a freaking scourge and will quickly take over and choke up my soils. I try to eliminate it from my collection by hawk-like weeding--it spreads like wildfire--and is bad. Liverwort only forms on really old soil or really badly draining things in my environs so it's not s big problem but I always try to get rid of it. Moss is ubiquitous in my collection, managing it (thinning, removal from trunks and surface roots) it is part of yearly chores. If I let moss climb over roots too much, engulfing them, the roots start getting loose and don't clasp the soil surface firmly and don't develop mature skin--I do have plantings where I let the moss go though. Trunks covered in heavy moss lose their old bark --very bad.

Attachments

• dino moss.jpg
    dino moss.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice moss @crust!

How do YOU grow them? Full shade/indirect sun? Regular potting soil?

Yeah, there are some old soil at the base. Exactly clay consistency, bad I know. Hopefully after the clean up and free range it will grow better.

Bought the tree during growing season.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Nice moss @crust!

How do YOU grow them? Full shade/indirect sun? Regular potting soil?

Yeah, there are some old soil at the base. Exactly clay consistency, bad I know. Hopefully after the clean up and free range it will grow better.

Bought the tree during growing season.
Daily watering means moss for me can and does grow everywhere, in any soil, in any exposure, given time. Transplanting moss works too. Finer soils tend to grow moss easier. Bad water can hold off its growth off as can too much fertilizer.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In the @crust camp here.....the moss can be so attractive....you want to keep it there to add a sence of texture...beauty ....but like most things in life.....it takes work to balance it out ( the more you put into it the more you can get out)...have to keep vigilant...the removal of scotch and Irish moss that I get is always added to the weekly "to do" list.....this time of year.
The "overburdened moss" pots (2nd photo) are given the same treatment as mentioned in a previous post. Counted at least 8 different mosses(first photo)..even have the sphagnum moss/vaccinium pot (photo# 3) is place in a depression in a boulder that holds water.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 39

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't treat all surfaces the same, trying different things, but I this is common for me. I mix crumbled dry moss into the upper surface and let it develop over time. Summers here can be hot and dry, moss only grows for a month or so in fall but grows quickly then. No Irish moss issues yet.

Year 1, tufts appearing in fall. image.jpg

Year 2 in fall tufts forming small islands, some connecting.image.jpg

Year 3, maybe full coverage by now, nice and thin still, maybe starting to encroach on trunk and bark. image.jpgimage.jpg

Year 4 if left untended, whoops, now we've got problems!image.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maintenance once it becomes needed.

Pull pinches out to the surface, allows easier water penetration again. image.jpg
Remove a ring around the trunk and mow the moss down to brown stubble as short as possible. image.jpgSame tree by fall, should have pulled a bit more around the trunk and mowed thinner but it's not bad, same treatment again in spring. image.jpg
Seems to be an alright way of going about things in my climate.

Sorce, how's the mossy foam idea working out?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, how's the mossy foam idea working out?

I haven't had a can of spray foam to take home yet...gotta be free you know...dirtbag certain!

I transferred a lot of moss to the yard though....and it's taking around pretty well.

I like what you ha e going there.

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't had a can of spray foam to take home yet...gotta be free you know...dirtbag certain!

I transferred a lot of moss to the yard though....and it's taking around pretty well.

I like what you ha e going there.

Sorce

So the idea is a year old and we are
still waiting for a free can of foam eh?

That's some good dedicated dirtbaggery there! Commendable. The foam sounds like a right strange idea anyway doesn't make any sense to me, you should try it!
I like what I've got going on with moss, I don't know if I'll stick to that approach, trying out some of the stuff and things recommended by the pros and their students also.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
free can of foam

Patience in all aspects!

20161022_181347.jpg

Plus wire and some glue for rocks and slabs and such...

Busy all winter makes for a quick spring!

Sorce

Top Bottom