Moss on exposed roots Maple bonsai

leafy8

Seedling
Reaction score
Is it ok to have moss on the exposed roots or will this cause root rot since the moss will absorb moisture and hold it for long periods of time.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The lack of oxygen is the worry, not moisture per se. If it is real moss, I don't think it is a problem.

I have maples growing on an 18 inch porcelain floor tile. The root populated substrate is covered with growing green moss. This is the third year I've had the group of them in this composition. My conclusion is that moss admits/transmits enough air for the tree roots to thrive.

My caveat (above) comes from experience with a species that looks like moss, but presents itself as little green asterisks. On its own it develops into pretty green clouds. I cultured it for a season and then realized it was the cause of two trees dying the following spring. I don't have a species i.d. for it and suspect it isn't a true moss as it seems to have roots and those roots form a dense hairy mat that, evidently, not enough air can get through. Anyway, I now get rid of this stuff anytime I see it - even plucking individuals with tweezers from my 'carpets' of real moss.

On the other hand, it should not be difficult to simply rub the moss from the exposed roots with a little gentle stroking with a toothbrush (and a plucking bits here and there with tweezers/forceps) if your design is emphasizing exposed roots.

leafy8

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you, I was stressing out

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Moss does not cause root rot. It is not tolerated mostly because it looks unsightly. If it grows on thick barked trees like corky Chinese elm it can cause the outer bark to rot away but live bark underneath has good resistance to excess moisture and is very rarely affected. Root rot, if it occurs, affects roots under the soil.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, it won't cause root rot, but it will rot any pleasant view, can't rot either in this game.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Some of us like moss. Some people ain't got no taste. Never the twain shall meet.

Top Bottom