moss or grass?

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
i have a idea for a landscape for one of my trees but im having trouble finding live Kyoto moss. i was thinking about maybe using majestic Bermuda turf grass and keeping the roots of the grass separated from the tree. has any one used grass? what do yall think

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look on eBay for your moss. You can find spores to grow your own or already grown moss cheap. I just got some of both to try my hand at growing them. I'm not keeping them on bonsai but instead keeping them in their own containers for future bonsai shows. Should look neat soon as I'm growing one portion of them in a very shallow 1 inch deep bonsai pot meant for a forest or rock planting.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Sounds like a really bad idea to me.
Bermuda is known for its invasive roots and I think would crowd out anything else. I assume you are talking about saikei and not bonsai. I would never plant anything else with a bonsai.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like a really bad idea to me.
Bermuda is known for its invasive roots and I think would crowd out anything else. I assume you are talking about saikei and not bonsai. I would never plant anything else with a bonsai.

AGREE

I am fairly confident with my horticultural credentials. And I am very certain that man has yet to devise a barrier that will hold the roots of Bermuda grass.

88mkiii

Sapling
Reaction score
i was thinking i could keep the roots separated with some plastic sheeting, i want to do Kyoto moss but i cant get my spors to sprout and i cant find any good looking live moss on line

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cheap very good looking moss. If it was not at night I would snap pics of what I got delivered this week. You can see it on their site. They sent a mixed bag, but I bet you could contact them to send just what you want.

http://www.appalachianemporium.com/

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
i was thinking i could keep the roots separated with some plastic sheeting, i want to do Kyoto moss but i cant get my spors to sprout and i cant find any good looking live moss on line

Can you not find any outside?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do not use moss other then temporarily to decorate various plants. I do not and will not place it and leave it. I have a few different types in old baking sheets for that purpose. To me grass is out of the question as I am certain it might look ok but would cause more problems and hide more problems then one would expect.

Grmmy

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Then it's likely going to be difficult to keep it going on pots.

Next time you're in Corpus, check on the side of the road under some shady live oaks, or shaded areas of parking lots. If you can get some of that growing, it might work on the island.

Top Bottom