Moss or Mold on Trunk and Pruned Area

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello everyone,

I have a Chinese elm bonsai that I've let grow unrestricted is doing well but I noticed some green moss (not exactly sure if it is moss?) growing on the trunk and on a part that had been pruned off. It doesn't look that harmful but I can't be too sure. If it is something harmful, how would I go about removing it? The bark is also coming off a tiny bit in the area circled, is this natural and expected?
IMG_8348.jpg

Finally, I attached a few photos of the entire tree. Can anyone advise me on some styling tips for the twin trunks? It has grown quite leggy and I hope to trim it down into something nice but any ideas of what style or direction to go with the tree that would be amazing.

Thanks, everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_8350.jpg
    IMG_8350.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8349.jpg
    IMG_8349.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 11

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Chinese elm is also called lacebark elm. This is because the bark flakes off in patches, leaving a "lace" pattern of different colored bark. So flaking bark is perfectly normal.

The moss or more likely algae on the tree is also perfectly normal. When you get considerably more, you can gently scrub it off with a soft brush dipped in vinegar. Not necessary at this point.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That green up there looks more alive, like a slime mold or something.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trunk could be cleaned gently.

But that thing on the upper part looks like if you touch it, it'll like, open some wings and fly away!

It looks like nothing but "I wanna see better pictures"!

Sorce

canadianlights

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ahahaha that's true! It does look quite lively.

I went with my gut instinct and rubbed it away with the toothbrush and vinegar, so its unfortunately gone. It would've been cool to see what it would've become though.

Top Bottom